Swapping to Black Sports Band No-Go

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pcmofo, Apr 24, 2015.

1. pcmofo macrumors member

pcmofo

I called apple and was on hold for 20 minutes while they tried to figure out how to swap my 42mm WSB for a Black sports band. Ultimately they told me they could not do it. :mad:

2. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

That's because you can only make a swap that is an acceptable off-the-shelf SKU. Black bands are only sold with space gray or space black watches.

3. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Are you forgetting the 42mm SS BSB model?

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

The rule is that the band has to come from the same collection. These rules were delivered to Apple Store staff. Maybe phone staff aren't all updated yet. Or maybe there is a special limit for the space gray sport.

However, if it's a stainles steel model, the black sport band is certainly an option there and should be a swappable choice. That said, the real problem right now could simply be the lack of said bands available for this purpose right now.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And it must also be an available band option for the watch face, meaning no swapping of black band with the Space Gray pin from the Sport collection to the silver Sport face.

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1871075

6. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

So this means the apple watch sport SG is compatie with all the sport bands? Or just certain colors?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You might want to clarify your question. The black sport band with the SG pin is an available band option only for the SG sport face, so you can't swap out your white/blue/pink/green band for the black band to use on your silver sport face.

You may, however, purchase the black sport band separately for $49 and use that as they're all compatible.

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Can't swap to something that apparently doesn't exist. (Yes I know they're supposed to exist but for some reason Apple can't make very many of them)

9. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I think the bands are universal. But Apple will only swap bands from within each collection. You should ge able to buy any band you like to use on your watch.

10. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

All bands are interchangeable. You can use steel bands on the Sport. Just have to be the right size (38mm vs. 42mm)

11. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Nope. 42mm SG.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The black sport band is also sold with SS, not just SG and SB.

13. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Yeah, I know. Not sure why you'd think I was implying otherwise.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You previously wrote that black bands are only sold with space gray and space black watches, and a member asked if you forgot about the SS model that's also sold with black sport band.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Except there are two different black sport bands. One with a space gray pin and the other with a regular silver pin.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

So does that mean if you get the space grey sports which only comea with a black band u cannot exchange it for any other of the sports edition bands but if u got the reg sports u can exchange it between colors minus black?

17. Fiestaman macrumors regular

Both of you are making a very common mistake. Think a little harder. Which watches are space black? Stainless steel. Don't worry. You're one of thousands that keep getting space gray and space black confused. Space gray = sport. Space black = stainless steel.

----------

This is correct. Only caveat is that 38mm only fits 38mm and 42mm only fits 42mm.

----------

No, he is not. Space Black = stainless steel. Space Gray = sport.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

He wrote that black bands are only sold with the Space Gray and Space Black models, which is incorrect. What would be correct is if he wrote that black bands are only sold with the Space Gray, Space Black SS and standard SS models. Or rather, simply Space Gray and SS models, as SS encompasses both Space Black and the traditional SS colors.

19. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I never said that. I was saying that within the confines of the Sport model, black bands only come with the Space Gray model. A simple misunderstanding.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Below is what you wrote:

21. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

22. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Space Gray = Sport
    Space Black = Stainless

I was including both.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Okay, but not technically correct. Stainless steel can be space black or the standard SS color. You would have avoided the confusion had you written Space Gray and SS.

24. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

All these darn acronyms are making me go crazy! I can't keep track!

25. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Actually, the confusion is all on me… sorry. For some reason, I thought the Stainless only came with a black sport band if you got a Space Black model. Like with the Sport watch…

So sorry about that.