Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tribe53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
So I want to pre-order the iPhone 5. My line does not have an upgrade. However, I have been given permission to use an upgrade on another line on the same family plan. I know At&t can easily do this in store but will I be able to do this when pre-ordering through At&t online or Apple? Or will I have to pre-order it and then swap the number when I get the phone?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You can pre-order from Apple or AT&T. You will have to enter the information for the donor line during the pre-order and not your phone number.

Then stay tuned here on MacRumors to get this years details on how to complete the activation once your new iPhone 5 arrives.

At no point do you "swap the number" but you will be moving the device between lines. It is a very easy process but the process may have some new steps this year due to the Nano-SIM in the iPhone 5 and any other new wrinkles from Apple or AT&T.

Yes, it may be easier to have the AT&T store complete the upgrade swap after you get the new iPhone 5 but again, check back here for the latest breaking scoop.:cool:

Dave

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Im doing the same and Im sure a lot more people will be too.
It would suck having to go to an AT&T store on launch day to do that.
Probably the customer service line will be hammered too.
Hope there is an easy way to do it without touching the other lines features and just activate it with the phone number you want.

Last edited:

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Im doing the same and Im sure a lot more people will be too.
It would suck having to go to an AT&T store on launch day to do that.
Probably the customer service line will be hammered too.
Hope there is an easy way to do it without touching the other lines features and just activate it with the phone number you want.
It should be very easy to do for orders directly from AT&T. In the past there have been issues with upgrade swaps that are ordered from Apple.

I am sure there will be a new wrinkle or to this time around.

For Apple ordered upgrade swaps during the iPhone 4 / 4S cycles the SIM and the IMEI are pre-parked on the line that the pre-order or order was placed and without using yet another Micro-SIM, the Activation process kept wanting to activate the line that the pre-order ase placed against. There was no option to change it.

This year might be as fun as the iPhone 4 days since there will be people rushing around looking for new spare Nano-SIMs. :eek:

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.