Sweden’s ‘Gender-Equal’ Snow Clearing Approach Ends In Chaos

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Nov 19, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It is for reasons like this that I'm happy Trump won

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

FFS, there is such a thing, as taking a good thing too far.

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Hello, PRSI's resident Swede here. Please let me know if you would like me to kill this thread with facts right now like I did the thread about "Sweden's 55 no-go zones", or if you want a safe space for half a day first to get any frustrations out of your system.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I could use a fact or two right now.

I much prefer fact over fake outrage.

(Well the outrage is real, just maybe not the reasons for it)

5. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Yes, please do!! Can you mansplain it for me, good thing i can always call the mansplaining hotline in Sweden to vent.

https://www.google.ca/amp/mobile.ny...-swedish-union.amp.html?client=ms-android-lge

6. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Okay, let's start with the grain of truth that the outrage is based on. There was snow, and there was chaos on the roads.

Now on to the circumstances that the article failed to mention. The snowfall on that day was the most intense in November in Stockholm since recording of meteorological measurements began over 130 years ago. And it wasn't just barely a record, the previous record was exceeded by 34%.

The good news is that the authorities had warned everyone in advance, asking them to stay off the roads. The bad news is that hundreds of thousands of people (mostly men, I'm sorry about any feelings hurt due to that) woke up thinking: "This is going to be awesome! Everyone else is leaving the car at home, I'll be king of the road!" And as usual in the first snow storm of the year, lots and lots of cars with summer tyres were abandoned along the roads creating an obstacle on par with the snow itself. Since Sweden is run by liberal weenies there is some kind of law against just running such cars off the road by means of plough trucks, which meant the work to clear the roads was delayed long into the next day.

So, the bottom line is that while the snowfall was unusual, the mess was not unusual. It was not created by "Feminist" snow clearing, since the same thing happened before during decades of tried and tested "Not travelling by car? Well **** you then!" snow clearing.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Thank you. Another alt-wrong screed utterly discredited.

8. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Instead of playing identity politics with everything maybe the greens could just have said they were rebalancing resources to where more injuries happen.

I guess identity politics is more fun.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

And what does the Federal government have to do with the Local government activity of clearing streets??

Will Trump go to thousands of cities and directing each city to clean the roads first?

10. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I would purchase a small book filled with skunk's greatest quips.

11. jerwin macrumors 65816

would you like someone to explain mansplaining to you? Or do you have some other explanation as to why you think the "daily caller"'s Swedish bureau is worthy of trust?

12. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Is it kinda like the womansplaining

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Womansplaining&defid=10060410
    Sounds like something a sexist would say just like the term mansplaining.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---

If Trump grabs women by the *****, what does that have to do with other people? Will local cops a government start grabbing people by the *****? If all levels of government have sexism issues like Sweden, I would call it a problem.

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    Seriously, I don't know what you are trying to tell me.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I also have no idea what you are trying to say. Nor, I dare say, do you.

15. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

That's ok, I did not think you would, the issue actually has nothing to do with snow. It's 2016, I thought you would have understood.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So cryptic. Perhaps you could spell it out in big letters for those of us who are evidently clueless. As far as I can see, this is an inaccurate and misleading article with a grossly distorted conclusion.

17. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Ok, the poster is making a claim that politics on the federal level do not affect the local level. If this is the case, all the snowflakes out there should not worry about the big bad wolf called Trump. If you do believe Trump policies and his actions will trickle down to state and local governments, than the first statement was BS.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not when it is so poorly expressed.

19. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Even left wing publications in Sweden called the policy a failure, the only failure is that people could even come up with gender neutral snow removal policies.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you now asserting that the policies and attitudes of the federal government will have no effect on people? Curiouser and curiouser.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    As has been explained by our resident Swede, the policy, such as it was, had absolutely nothing to do with why the snow clearance failed.

21. jerwin macrumors 65816

you seem non-self-aware.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

@cfedu Sarkeesian may be a professional (literally, it's how she makes a living) troll, but she has nothing to do with this.

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Fair point, and yes there is some influence, but it is neither the purpose nor the expectation that what the Fed does the Local must kowtow to.

Washington DC may be where Federal policy is made, but the city itself operates by a totally separate system, with a locally elected mayor.

24. Zenithal Suspended

Sometimes I wish I could hand most of you a complicated setup from Ikea sans instructions manual and watch you all work together and help each other build and complete your assignments. Yes, I would be one evil dictator if I did that.