Sweden Drops Assange Investigation-Revokes Arrest Warrent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, May 19, 2017.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

From the BBC :

" Sweden's director of public prosecutions has decided to drop the rape investigation into Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

Marianne Ny filed a request to the Stockholm District Court to revoke his arrest warrant, apparently ending a seven-year stand-off.

Mr Assange, 45, has lived in the Ecuadoran embassy in London since 2012, trying to avoid extradition.

He feared being extradited to the US if sent to Sweden.

But if he leaves the embassy he could be detained by UK police and face extradition to the US.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

3. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

This is GOOD news. Before anyone gets political, on either end, think about how much you would like the guy, if he exposed YOUR party's wrong doings. The government SHOULD be FULLY transparent with it's people. This man is doing everyone a service, by keeping our politicians accountable.

4. niploteksi macrumors regular

The main reason for the investigation to be discontinued is that Assange can't be brought to Sweden. If he should travel back to Sweden before 2020 the charges might may be brought up again.

In no way was the charges dropped because Assange was found innocent of the alleged rape.

Should he be detained my suggestion would be to bring him to Sweden so the preliminary investigations could finally be conducted. Then he could get political asylum in Sweden, found guilty of rape or not.

"Leakers" and whistle blowers should be protected from malicious governments or corporations.

5. NeilHD macrumors regular

Pretty sure he'll be arrested for not turning up to court and breaking bail if he leaves the Embassy.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's what I read too so he doesn't get to leave the Embassy yet. And I don't feel too sorry for him. Unlike Bradley Manning who was probably just a pawn Assange is more likely to have played an active roll in turning WikiLeaks into a branch of the Russian Intelligence.

7. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Yeah I lost a lot of respect for him when he said we would surrender if Manning was released by Obama.

Obama did release Manning and then Assange backtracked.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Assange's position actually became a lot less secure.

Since Sweden dropped its European Arrest Warrant, if he were to be indicted in the US, and an extradition request sent to the UK, the British would be obliged to give that priority over the Swedish claim. Assange could fight the extradition in the UK courts, but would most probably lose.

Sweden dropping its European warrant also gives the Ecuadorans less incentive to continue to give him sanctuary, perhaps increasing the pressure they put on Assange to move on.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ocluelss administration prosecuted more whistle blowers than any other administration, transparency my rear end. funny how you guys cry about Russia because OMG your party's misdeeds were exposed, you have a problem with the messenger instead of addressing the message and then wonder why you got Hillary and lost....so glad karma stepped in :D

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

seems he's planning on staying at the embassy for awhile though;

link

the rent's free, so hey, it's a deal :D

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

jk for the love of god get a grip. Clinton's out there wearing fresh lipstick and trying to see if the progressives will even let her open their car doors while they fix the party she wrecked. Trump's the president of a country that legitimately wonders, at the moment, whether some of his staff have been unduly influenced by agents of the Russian state. In short whether there has been an effort to install Russian moles in the West Wing, maybe even hook in the President, who if you want to talk about clueless :eek: let's have lunch and he's on the menu.

I don't know if there's "anything" to the Trump campaign staff's Russian connections. Nonetheless I would very much appreciate someone trying to find out. In fact they (Congress, the Justice Department) are in breach of their constitutional duties if they do not try to find out.

In the meantime on Assange, yah he needs to try to beam himself out of that embassy, his problems are not limited to that Swedish warrant and Ecuador would love for him to move on. It's a squeeze play.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

That's all nice and well, but it stops when he's starting to selectively publish stuff in pursuit of his own or someone else's political agenda. Recently he has at best been a useful idiot for Putin, or at worst been trying to undermine democratic processes himself.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Wikileaks has recently been publishing stolen NSA and CIA cyber-intelligence tools. And then placing them on a public server, where they are freely downloaded - and used - by criminals and cyber-terrorists around the world.

Please explain to me what positive purpose Wikileaks is providing here?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

software companies are forced to patch the weaknesses , yes it sucks to a large degree but I don't care since IMHO you need a freaking WARRANT of you want anything that is supposed to be private, you guys overlook that little fact because your clown was more than happy to spy on people basically taking a crap on the 4th............ what good is the constitution if you are more than happy to bypass it? **** bush/obama/clinton/trump and all of congress along with SCOTUS.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

From the guy that praised Wikileaks last year.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unless that "anything that is supposed to be private" embarrasses democrats, then the people without warrants before your hero :p

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

touche................................ for the record I am fine if it takes down republicans as well.

18. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The English courts will accommodate whatever the USA demands as they never rule in the interests of the punter.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Can't the situation have changed? Look, several years ago, I did some academic research on Wikileaks and I thought the group was interesting and its aim positive, but my feelings about the group have changed.

Originally, the group wanted to publish the secrets of governments and corporations to ensure transparency in our modern world. Today, the group seems intent on hurting the United States and releasing information without any kind of thought.

Sure, release documents showing the NSA has hacking tools. Maybe send that information to Apple, Microsoft, etc. so they can patch their systems. But, to just release a bunch of hacking tools into the wild is irresponsible at best.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How willing will corporations be to secure the back doors when they cooperate with the government utilizing the exploits?

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Sure it can. Doesn't make the poster less of a hypocrite.

Personally, I think Assange and Snowden should be extradited to the US and put on trial.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

right now tech companies are scrambling to patch things up and will seriously consider making any back doors for the NSA/FBI or others so I completely agree with the way things were done, had they just exposed it as you put it nobody would care as most people have the attention span of a dory from finding nemo

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

"Most people" are not the heads of tech companies like Apple and Microsoft. Had Wikileaks gone to them and said "patch your ****" because here's the NSA tool, the companies would be responsible. Wikileaks could have given them a deadline.

But, instead "radical transparency" is the rule and now, thousands of people couldn't get health care in the U.K. because the computer system was down.

It was irresponsible and that's Wikileaks' problem. They don't care about the impact, they just want the appearance of transparency, led by a guy who hid from a Swedish warrant, and from a group that keeps many of its own secrets.

Increasingly, I think they're a Russian cut-out operation. And, I think Assange wants to hurt the United States and hates Clinton. That's not a group I trust.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I trust them more than our POS GOVT :D

it's a mess BUT it made the big guys AND little guys care.
    [​IMG]

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The US Government would face quite a difficult task in convicting Assange.

They could perhaps charge him under the Espionage Act, or possibly with conspiracy to distribute classified information. But those are tricky cases to make under US law.

Make no mistake about it: I think Assange is a reckless troublemaker, motivated more by an irrational hatred of the United States than any love of freedom or openness. I think his connections with the Russians are far deeper than most people realize. At best he's a tool of them. At worst he's an active co-conspirator.

But I struggle to think of a solid case against him under US criminal law. And I do believe that British courts would not be particularly willing to extradite him to the US on charges they believed to be spurious.