Sweden: Pro Soccer Star Comes Out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Mar 10, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good for him. Hopefully, this encourages more guys who are gay in pro sports to come out.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/03/09/Sweden_Pro_Soccer_Star_Comes_Out/

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, pro sports are the last frontier. Actually, sports in general are.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

A previous colleague mine whom used to play professional ice hockey said that there were absolutely no gay players in his sport. I called ******** and he got pissed.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's amazing how that attitude prevails even to this day. Of course there are gay hockey players. We saw that with Brendan Burke (who died recently in a car accident). The Blackhawks marched in the Pride Parade here in Chicago with the Stanley Cup in his honor this past year.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd say it's probably about equal. I play in a gay floor hockey league (gonna try the ice soon) and you would be surprised by the range of personalities. I would say that in general, most of the guys in the league are people you would never suspect of being gay. However, we do have our share of effeminate guys too, and they're amazing players. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The lad's just been interviewed on the radio, as it happens. When the subject of gay footballers comes up – or any other sporting types, for that matter – one argument we always seem to hear is that it's going to cause ructions in the side. Players aren't going to be comfortable around him, it'll cause problems in the dressing room, and so on.

However, Hysen was quick to point out that he's had no hostility or problems from any of his team mates, and they were in fact very supportive of him and his decision to go public – all of which is very pleasing to hear. Good on him.

Incidentally, in other sporting news one of England's cricket internationals – Steven Davies – recently came out too, and this of course follows on from cross-code rugby player Gareth Thomas a year or so back. Hopefully their examples will make others feel better able to come out themselves.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, let's hope so. It's a good thing to see happen all around.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

20%
    Where did you get that stat?

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Lee have you seen "Breakfast With Scott"? It's a great movie and I think shows that the next generation isn't doomed to suffer from homophobia.

11. leekohler, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- I've not heard of it. I'll look it up. Thanks. :)

EDIT- OMG, watched the trailer and that looks great! Thanks! I'll check it out.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It is really funny. It's Canadian, so of course it's all about hockey and the kid is just a little flamer. Let me know what you think of it.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god, I'm sure I'll love it. It looks hysterical. :)

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Geez, what is this, 1995? Can we just establish that there are a lot of gay sports players out there, they just choose to be private and discreet. Not like those attention whores that keep having scandals and lawsuits just to stay on top.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

What? That's not the situation at all. Most gay players are afraid to come out. There is a lot of homophobia in sports, as well as the audience for many sports.

If this is truly what you think, you have no idea.

16. Andeavor macrumors 6502

TBH, I have no idea about the who's and what's in sports but surely there are many gay players out there, so we shouldn't be surprised about that. But frankly, I don't care who or what they do behind closed doors, they're professional sportsmen and not socialites.

As for the homophobia in sports, I'm sure this is a typical mass sentiment as the individual sports fan won't give a damn about a player's sexuality, unless he's interested. Sports may be a man's domain, but we all know men come in all shapes and directions, what counts in the end is sportmans ship and winning the game.

17. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a good one too!

One of the sad things about sports is that it really allows young people to become part of something bigger, to learn about teamwork. Unfortunately, it an also be a breeding ground for ultra-conformist attitudes.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We may know that, but too many people still don't. No one in sports who's gay should have to worry about what their teammates might do if they find out, and they should certainly not have to worry about their careers. Currently, it's too scary for a lot of people, especially in the US. So far, the only American sports organization to speak out against homophobia is the NHL, and they could certainly do more. But they've taken the first steps to ending it in sports- they get serious credit for that.