Swedish Pirate Party wins seat in European Parliament.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NXTMIKE, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. djellison macrumors 68020

Sorry - I can't help it.

YAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(wrong sort of pirate. I'd better leave)

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I like how there's always enough crazy to go around. I wish the pirates the best with their demands.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So more content providers can be cheated out of money, that's a great idea.

Software pirates and white supremists being given power? It's a joke.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, it's democracy. Messy, and oft frustrating, but still better than any other way of doing it.

8. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I get the feeling this is going PRSI very quickly. But i think you shouldn't group Pirating with being a white supremacist. I think that content providers are bigger crooks than the pirates. The extreme loyalties that they take on their products is the reason music/movies cost so much money. Without them both the artists would be doing better and more people would be inclined to spend money on their products.

If a company makes something, they should make it to a quality high enough that people are willing to spend money on it. Musicians do very well for themselves for this exact reason. Pirating doesn't hurt anyone...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh I agree on the big guys, but then the little guys like us don't make as much money, yet we still have our products pirated. The only way I can survive and have a normal living is by signing with a big publisher which means I lose some control over my products. If I don't then it's bye bye to my software ventures and then it's the real fans and people who buy my software who lose out.

Great isn't it.

10. martychang macrumors regular

You can't sell software. In the days of digital you can't sell anything that can be digitized either, such as music or movies. The market needs to find alternative ways to monetize content, rather than simply lolpackage lolsell. If it's on a functioning computer it can and will be copied, DRM always falls in the end and legislation(what the big guys are going for, and the real thing the Pirate Party is against) is an artificial barrier.

The fact that the current ways of doing business fail so spectacularly in the this age should be an immediate indicator that what has been done in the past no longer works, and must be discarded. Maybe it means there will be tons of ads, maybe it means you buy support rather than the product itself, there's probably better ideas that have yet to be though up by guys smarter than us. Time will tell.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Sweeping abolition of copyright/patent protections is a very bad idea...which isn't to say I like the amount of content control many large media corporations wield. But we need to fight abuses/excess within the system rather than getting rid of the system altogether.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I did wonder where that went, this is surely a news story in itself. I'm happy they got in to be honest, good for them, politics is a joke anyway.

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

sprog mods I be's blaimin'! scurvy dogs! yar! lets keelhaul them all!

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Too funny... Reminds me of the Monty Python "Corporate Raiders" sketch.