Sweeping Mandate for a GOP Agenda

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Jan 1, 2017.

1. kobalap macrumors 6502

I think many independents, democrats who went Trump's way, seniors who voted for the conservatives, log cabin republicans and many of those who couldn't be bothered about their civic duties are going to be in for a fun few years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...s-820pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.e9c7d69f377d

It is Sunday today so if some of you want to pray that conservative politicians will not overreach, today is the day.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

What in that article would be of concern to Log Cabin Republicans?

4. cube macrumors G5

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt any of the Supreme Court justices will retire under Trump. And the Democratic Party will play games like the republicans did.

6. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Its going to be a intresting 4 Years. If your Rich and in the Top 1%. Its like christmas right now. The GOP is getting Rid of Medicare, Privatizing Social Security is something wall street would love to get there hands on. It was something Paul Ryan was fighting for years. I remember when Bush was trying to do it but it failed to pass. Image if it did, 2008 These bankers would be able to steal trillions more from us.

7. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... 2 of the 3 oldest judges are liberals. One is 84 and the other is 80. People that age have a habit of you know, dying.

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

An electoral college win by 70k votes spread across three states and a loss in the popular vote is not any kind of mandate. Donald Trump and the Republicans will be fought. They will be fought on legitimate grounds: the measure of irresponsibility and recklessness we have already seen before Trump took office, the wackadoo policy positions forming.

[​IMG]

9. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Trump won't be fought, he'll be fought over through flattery, as Pence/Ryan/Bannon battle for their personal (wildly divergent) agendas.

Trump's has no core ideology, zero deep knowledge, and little intellectual rigour. It's all about who gets the last word in his ear. I expect a chaotic agenda, a little from all three, with zero overall cohesion.

10. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

Well, it's been a long 8 years. Let's see that mandate!

11. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I agree. Donald Trump believes in nothing but himself. He is the perfect mix of being a blank ideological slate, and having ignorant hubris to the core of his being. Republicans think they have won big. I think they will either accomplish almost nothing that Trump proposed, or do most of it and fail miserably bringing us into another war/Great Recession combo.

12. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

I love all of this talk of the republicans thinking they won big. There were only 4 names for the next POTUS. Trump was the only one with a Republican platform. Whether they won big or just won regular how does that matter? Are you saying they'd be happier with one of the other horrible options?

13. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

He didn't run on a Republican platform.

14. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

Go on...

15. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Do you really believe the GOP is going to get rid of Medicare? IF they did they would not win another election this century.

16. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

How is his massive spending plan, mining subsidisation, artificial market manipulation via levies and import/export fines, manufacturing controls on private companies, or huge deficit expansion plan in any way "Republican"?

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Even if you set aside the WH race, or even if Hillary had won, the GOP still thumped the Dems in almost every other race. All that talk about taking back the Senate, Nope. And the laughable idea they were going to take back the House, not even close.

Throw in a couple more state legislatures (did you know the GOP controls (Gov. and both legislative branches) in 29 states vs the Dems 5 states.

They did win big.

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Republicans lost seats in the House and the Senate. Democrats didn't take the Senate, but won additional seats in each house of Congress. Losing is actually a big win? Another Trumpette operating under [new]Logic. Loses are wins, up is down, black is white. The next four years, laid out plainly

19. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

You know what, you keep on feeling like the Dems won. Nothing wrong with that.

20. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Republican Control: “Okay, boys. A vote: should we try to help as many Americans as possible, putting us in the best possible light; or should we pigheadedly try to harm as many Americans on the other side of the spectrum and cause a mass uprising where next time we’re voted out of control.”

*votes of Ayes and Nays*

Republican Control: “The latter has it, harm it is.”

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

They aren't really going to get rid of Medicare, a system millions of Americans have paid into their whole lives and depend on. They're also not going to privatize social security, overturn Roe v Wade, build a wall across the whole southwestern United States, ban Muslim immigration, or do any of the other unrealistic moves their rhetoric teased the far right with.

Politicians have to lie to build coalitions. Democrats do it, too.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But how will Trump's core audience respond to him not doing these things?

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You realise that richer people (like Supreme Court justices) live longer right?

As long as they are healthy the average Supreme Court justice probably has a life expectancy of 95.

Also I'm pretty confident the court doesn't like Trump. Even the conservatives will be like the Bush family - i.e Hilary supporters.

24. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

They don't care.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think a lot of them believe what Trump says. Why else would he have gotten elected. If they assumed he was just another lier they would not have voted for him.