Swimmers, divers, beach dwellers, and other amphibian macrumors members

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by roisin and mac, Sep 8, 2010.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a waterproof case for my iphone 3GS, and I was hoping the more aquatically minded people here might have some recommendations :)

My ideal case would basically be the otterbox defender, except all waterproof including the headphone port; ie, fully 'dunkable', not just weatherproof/splashproof. It lets you use all features, gives you complete confidence in its ability to shield the iphone at the beach (sand, salt water dripping off your hair) or in the rain, and I love the way it comes with a shell that has the belt clip: I clip it to my bikini bottoms at the beach, secure it with a strap from the holder when I'm in the rain, but I can still take off the shell altogether and it fits in a pocket. It would be real sweet to be able to do those things and just walk right in the sea without having to take it off, risking it getting stolen left in your bag, or worrying about being dunked in water above mid-thigh by some sprinting grade schooler :p

But otterbox don't make anything like that, so the idea is to shoot for as close as that as I can get :cool:

So, to recap the things I want it to do:
    - fully waterproof; shouldn't have to think twice about dunking it. however, I'm not a diver, so only like a couple of meters should be plenty :)
    - fully useable in the case; should be able to use the touchscreen and home, sleep buttons (don't mind the side buttons). Also including: ability to use the headphone port (don't care about the built-in speakers though, or the dock)
    - wouldn't say no to a belt clip/other means to keep it on you, even if it sells separate. I'm no athlete or anything - I just live somewhere you can go to the beach about 5 months a year, of which 3 are so miserably hot going to the beach is ALL you can do :p So all it has to hang on to me for is a bit of horsing around in the shallows, and some light swimming. The most active stuff in the water is the odd cannonball in pools lol, and if I do that I'll just remember to take the iphone off :)

eagerly awaiting your replies, would love a chance to get this before going on holiday :)

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really, actually - I did find this thread when I googled the topic, but it's not really what I was looking for. First, even the last post is over a year old. Chances are there are new offerings out there that the thread doesn't cover. Second, the OP on that one is looking for different things, he makes it clear from the beginning that he doesn't need to listen to music straight from the case (I do) and at one point he even says he wouldn't mind taking it out of the case to use it altogether (I would).

Getting a case like he needs would be pointless for me, because I already have something like that - it's where I store my passport, money, etc, and it's big enough to fit the iphone if I don't need to use it while actually in the water. But I do - hence, a new thread.

Now, does anyone have other ideas? All I know of are a bunch of cases that appear to keep the phone dry but without letting you use it for music, and just ONE case that does it all - the Amphibx by H20 - but it is really bulky and can only be carried on the upper arm.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't know much about waterproof cases, but I'm going to bump your thread up solely for its title :D