Swimming with  Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bobajobbob, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

For what it is worth I've just spent a week in the sun and a swimming pool and wore my  watch throughout. I obviously wasn't diving down to great depth but the watch worked perfectly throughout and had absolutely no issues with the water submersion at all. If you are fretting about wearing the watch in the shower or pool then don't.

2. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

You are one brave guy. I just think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

3. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I have been doing it for over a month..... was the main reason I bought the thing; control the music from inside the pool.

If it breaks, it's not a sport watch :)

4. originalmagneto macrumors member

originalmagneto

I'm afraid that the damage to the watch (due to water exposure) will "manifest" itself later...there is a reason why Apple does not recommend wearing it in the pool

5. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

Actually, based on what I've read the reason Apple doesn't say the watch can be worn underwater is because it loses much of its touch screen functionality underwater, not because it leaks. If it were not sealed they would not say that you can shower with it.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

They haven't said you could shower with it.

7. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

I am swimming with it frequently, my wife does as well. No problems whatsoever.
    The only thing, that keeping me off wearing it in the pool more often is the lack of apps counting the swim metrics, pace and distance. Thats why I fall back to my Garmin Swim every time I go to for a swim.

Sad, because it is proven by those Pebble App guys, - Apple Watch is very precise at those measurements....

8. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

The Apple Watch features an IPX7 water rating. Here’s what a IPX7 water rating entails.

• IPX7 rated devices can withstand incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.
    • Indoor/outdoor use in the presence of rain, snow or brief splashes of water is a suitable activity.
    • Any immersion of more than 1 meter, regardless of duration of immersion, or any immersion of more than 30 minutes, regardless of depth of immersion is not a suitable activity.
    Apple's solution for a sticky crown is to run it under warm water.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I wear mine in the shower but I don't think I would want it in any water with chlorine or salt.

10. fireman13 macrumors 6502

While I don't go swimming with mine, I do run it under the water every day to clean it after running or working out. I clean my sport band the same way and have been for the past 2 months. No issues at at all.

11. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I live on the beach and couldn't imagine swimming in the ocean with it. I can't imagine salt water would be good for it long term. Even the sand would be a nightmare to try to get out all of the time.

12. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

13. fireman13 macrumors 6502

14. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

Touch functionality doesn't work when it's wet, but I've been swimming and kayaking/paddle boarding with it for 2 months now and have had no problem.

15. fireman13 macrumors 6502

I'm just thinking long term not short term. A year down the road not 2 months. It may be fine and if your doing all those things in fresh water than its possible. But salt water just can't be good for all the little tiny crevices you can't clean out. Honestly, it's your watch. You bought it to enjoy it and if swimming and paddle boarding are what you like to do with it, then carry on. I mean that sincerely.