Swine Flu and hospitals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Dec 4, 2009.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So we are at the hospital having our second kid. The hospital has decreed that (apparently following NIH guidance) nobody under 18 can pass the entrance. I'm not sure how someone under 18 is more likely to carry swine than someone over. Especially with a kid who isn't in school and in contact with others.

I know I am only caring because it affects me (the older one can't see mom or her little brother), but what on earth? If we are going to protect patients, why not ban all visitors?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hospitals have always had interesting rules. Sorry to hear about that.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats terrible. What if a father or mother is dying, their own kids can't even see them? :confused:

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Congrats to you and the Mrs. :)

I took my niece (12) and nephew (8) to the hospital yesterday to meet their new siblings. No problems getting them in.

5. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

They have an exception for the ER and end of life situaions. I suipose kids are less contagious then.

Screw the state of Maryland and St. Agnes hospital.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's a shame. The policies are usually well-intentioned but sometimes carried out without common sense or flexibility.

I know of hospitals that encourage visitors instead of trying to keep them out. They give people notices about reasonable precautions but mostly leave it up to families and patients to use their own good judgment. That probably doesn't control the spread of illnesses as thoroughly but it's based on the reality that people depend on people, not just on a lack of germs.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man that stinks. I hope all goes well for you and your family during this wonderful time.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why don't you ask the hospital if you havne't already? Usually there is an explanation for such directives on the hospital intranet.

Another possbility if you shift perspective is that given swine flu is relatively more dangerous to the young, that they don't want kids unecessarily around who could catch it.

And congrats on your second kid :).

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The big reason is this.

Before the latest round of proposed cuts in Medicare and Medicaid, there is also a policy that does not pay for infections and problems that arise WHILE in the hospital.
    If you came in as a patient with it, paid!
    If you came in without it, get it while in the hospital, denied, the hospital has to eat it.
    Wait till big brother collects your money and denies your care, it will be such a hopefull change.

10. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

already did that. I spent some time talking to the director of infection control for a little while. She supposedly spoke with the powers that be o see if we could get an exemption.

The issue with the policy is that all the claims they make about the 3 women who nearly died at the hospital came in with swine flu. They haven't presented any indication that someone or infected from a visitor. As it is, I am more likely to have contracted and spread the virus (I'm nt vaccinated) than my kid who is.

It isn't much, but I certainly will not be donating any money here in the future.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Congrats nbs2!!!

We got a call from the VA Hospital stating the same rules. The swine flu is more prevalent in kids and they are more likely to openly cough and to finger EVERYTHING and wipe their snot everywhere (nothing against kids or anything).

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Solution: Just have the visiting kids lie about their age. So what if they look 5 and claim they are 18? Who ever heard of a hospital giving lie detector tests? :cool: