Swiping to change pages in Chrome on OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by St. Germain, Aug 25, 2011.

1. St. Germain macrumors 6502

I've got the latest version of Chrome and can do a two finger swipe to return to the previous page. However it seems really weird to swipe to the right to go back a page, especially since it doesn't have the same animation that Safari has of pushing the page.

Anyone know if there's a way to change it in Chrome so that swiping to the left takes you to the previous page?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Use Better Touch Tool to change the gestures.

3. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Why would it seem "weird"? The rest of the OS as well as iOS use this type of scrolling/manipulation.

Imagine if you had 3 pieces of paper sitting in a line and taped together on a desk in front of you. You are currently looking at the center document and want to see the leftmost document, wouldn't you push the center document to the right to make the leftmost document come into position for viewing?

As for the animation, you must be referring to the Canary build. There is plenty of time for things to be changed before they become reality in a stable release.

4. St. Germain thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm currently on 15.0.861.0 dev right now. I'll probably just have to get used to it but I'm definitely going to check out Better Touch Tool. I think it just seems odd since the page swiping animation isn't present like it is in Safari.

5. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree that the chrome implementation as it stands is of little benefit. The whole point of the two finger swipe to me is that you can peek at the backwards and forwards history in a spatially intuitive manner: back is revealed underneath, forward is slid over top. Compare that to chrome where all you have is an arrow that points in one direction and slides in opposite.