Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
yummy.... the 'Bar With No Name' where we had the first London MR Posse meet up last year used to sell the good stuff.... :D they'd only let you have 3 and no more.... unless you sneekily sent someone else to the bar... :D

always carry your own absinthe spoon though... so many places don't have the proper ones, and you have to struggle with a standard teaspoon, I'd also suggest carrying your own matches as well... ;)

good sh*t... :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
iGAV said:
always carry your own absinthe spoon though... so many places don't have the proper ones, and you have to struggle with a standard teaspoon, I'd also suggest carrying your own matches as well... ;)

I've got a spoon. ;)

Interesting that they cut u off at 3 though. From your experiences, how many does it take? :eek:

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
a shot of absinthe burns for about 40 mins! that is my bit of interesting absinthe realted information!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
eyelikeart said:
I've got a spoon. ;)

Interesting that they cut u off at 3 though. From your experiences, how many does it take? :eek:

you've got a spoon too.... I like your style... ;)

I thought it was 3... but I've just been speaking to my brother who said it was 6....(ish).... and they didn't stop us... it was my brother that did... :eek: :p :p

I love the whole ritual... it's so much more exciting than having just a beer... heheh :D

So then Mr eye, the question is, when you coming over to europe to enjoy some...??? you've been toying with the idea since I've been on the boards... go on.. come and hang with the London MR posse... heheh :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
iGAV said:
So then Mr eye, the question is, when you coming over to europe to enjoy some...??? you've been toying with the idea since I've been on the boards... go on.. come and hang with the London MR posse... heheh :D

If it weren't an exercise in funds, I'd have been there a few times by now. ;)

I would love to do the trip sometime though. Hanging with the London MR Posse...I could just see the photos & stories to come from it! :eek: :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Ah, the memories.

Prague + Absinthe = the most f33ked-up Lethal ever. Well, there were some Jack and Cokes in there too, but the Absinthe, oh boy. "Hey, this isn't so bad" always turns out to be a regretable<sp?> phrase. ;)

Lethal

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
eyelikeart said:
Now I'm wondering how long before the U.S. catches up?

story here
Are you kidding? We put people away for simple possesion of pot. There's no way we'd legalize absinthe. Our leaders (not to mention a large chunk of our populace) are way too anal-retentive.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Well, after reading the marijauna thread in Community Discussion, I just have to say many of the reasons the Swiss are legalizing absinthe are the same reasons marijauna should be legalized.

Anyways, absinthe sounds like some pretty intense stuff.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Thanatoast said:
Are you kidding? We put people away for simple possesion of pot. There's no way we'd legalize absinthe. Our leaders (not to mention a large chunk of our populace) are way too anal-retentive.

It was more rhetorical than literal. However, u are right. I feel like there's never going to be a time when we're even with the rest of the world.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
one of the reasons they legalized it in parts of europe was because they lowered the thujone count inside, which is about enough to give you teh affect of absinthe, but nothing to harmful. one shot can give you a hell of a time if you get the good stuff, there is lots of bad absinth out there that doesnt do much. taking to much absinth will just start to give you the affect of any other alcohol. my absinth shipped two days ago and should be here by the time i get back from mexico and ill let you guys know how it goes.

iJon

The_Dood

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2004
Japan
LethalWolfe said:
Prague + Absinthe = the most f33ked-up Lethal ever. Well, there were some Jack and Cokes in there too, but the Absinthe, oh boy. "Hey, this isn't so bad" always turns out to be a regretable<sp?> phrase. ;)Lethal

No way! Me too!! Prague + Absinthe = the most f33ked-up Dood ever!! There were no Jack and Cokes for me though... but I do remember sitting in a park with some friends downing small bottles of vodka and gin before heading to the club to receive my killer shot of absinthe. it only took one... but boy it did the job.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
The funny thing is that it never was illegal in the UK - they just stopped selling it here when it became illegal nearly everywhere else...

Useful link here

Interesting quote that backs up iJon

The EU allows absinthe of commerce to contain up to 10 mg/Kg -- equivalent to parts per million -- which is mild compared to the estimated 60-90 mg/Kg of premium Belle Epoch absinthes. But several modern Spanish and Czech brands actually contain no detectable thujone (and therefore can be presumed to have been made without A.absinthium) while some pastis -- fake absinthes introduced after the bans -- may contain more than 30 mg/Kg. Some vermouths -- the name is a derivative and corruption of wormwood which is used in flavoring these blended wines -- contain more a-thujone than many absinthes. Thus the martini is a chemical cousin of absinthe!

ahhh...Mr Bond the Vodka Martini - shaken not stirred

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
absinthe

Absinthe is made from wormwood. wormwood makes you high.

or something to that effect.

though a quick search on the web brings up this:

[Q]uality absinthe, properly distilled, does have a different effect over and above the results of alcohol, though at up to 70%, the effects of the alcohol alone can be considerable. Absinthe's effects, despite popular conception, are not due to the wormwood (Artemisia Absinthia) alone. Absinthe's constituents consist of a very delicate balance of various herbs, most of which contribute in one way or another to its intoxicating effects. [Chemist and absinthe expert] Ted Breaux once explained it that it is a push-me, pull-you effect of the various herbs, as some are of an heightening effect, and others are lowering. The effect on the individual is subjective, and can best be described as a kind of heightened clarity of mind and vision, mildly ponderous and sparkling, and warmed by the effect of the alcohol. This seems to wear off after 20 or 30 minutes, leaving one with an alcohol buzz. 2-3 glasses seems to do the trick. More than that, depending on the proof of the alcohol, will just make you very drunk.
But saying all that, 'secondary effects' seem to be quite subjective. Some have never felt them at all. Some say one brand works for them, others another. Many absintheurs ... have placed absinthe's 'effects' low on their priority list when it comes to judging modern commercial absinthes, preferring to focus on actual herbal constituents, manufacture and historical detail.

I say that is some dude making himself sound important, and therefore, all hooie. wormwood makes you high.

Moo

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Weed is also legal in Switzerland. I think they are doing this because the Swiss have one of the highest suicide rates on the planet and they feel it is better for people to be stoned 24/7 than dead.

The problem is stuff like this, weed and alcohol has negative effects on you mental and/or physical heath. So how far do governments go to stop people harming themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.