Swiss Miss *******e Edition (Michele Bachmann)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, May 12, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My pray the Swiss away reparative therapy worked. Just sayin'.

This is just too funny.

Source

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What a shame.

She'll never get to visit Romney's money....

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Too funny, probably looking for her escape exit when the country implodes. I always thought (maybe incorrectly) that dual citizenship was only allowed while you were a child and at some point you had to decide one or the other?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think some countries may be like that, but the US isn't they have no problem with you having dual citizenship.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

this is pretty funny.

although all the criticism of dual-citizenship from the right are ridiculous in a general context, I have to say that it does seem bizarre for someone wanting to actually be the president of one of the two countries (i don't see much of a problem for congress).

and most certainly it wasn't an 'automatic' event. a friend of mine married a swiss citizen and had to go through a bazillion hoops to get it.

but given how she panders to the ultra-right-wing nuts, this might well be the end of her political career. how sad.... :D

6. Andeavor macrumors 6502

As far as I know, Swiss citizenship is for life, even if acquired by marriage.

7. Kauai macrumors 6502a

The Swiss may be a little racist, but they definitely wouldn't subscribe to her economic views.

8. Andeavor macrumors 6502

What gave you that idea?

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why would you think this? Most of the people I know here are dual citizens. I could technically become a triple citizen after marriage if I cared to.

Her making the citizenship sound involuntary is funny though.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess is that most homogenous groups of people are racist to some degree until they have mixed with others who are different and have had a chance to reevaluate. Just an observation, not a statement in support of racist Swiss. :)

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought that banning dual citizenship, which had been US policy for years, was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. However, aren't there planks in the Constitution that prevent anybody who has pledged loyalty to another country from serving in certain roles (president, army, etc.)? I've considered getting citizenship of the UK, but then I would have to take a pledge to be a subject of HM the Queen (m'eh), and quite possibly her useless son after that (the horror, the horror). Just doesn't sit right with me.

12. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

It used to be that way, but it's changed now (at least in Norway). You can keep dual (Norwegian) citizenship as long as you're born with it, meaning they no longer force you to choose one or the other when you turn 18, but I think if as an adult you acquire a second citizenship the rules may be different.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I actually wish they would auto revoke my citizenship, then I wouldn't have to worry about filing taxes with the US and penalties with the IRS.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Can't you get a dishonorable discharge from servitude?? :rolleyes:

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just go to the embassy and renounce your citizenship if you don't want it, they will let you.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am only a permanent resident as of now, but once I get citizenship in two years I will most likely do this. If I understand the rules properly I will still be obligated to file US taxes for 10 years after renouncing. So I will be 40 years old before I don't have to report to the overlord. :rolleyes: :D

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're getting off lucky.

They own other people's ass until they die, either naturally or in servitude.

19. Kauai macrumors 6502a

60% ban on minarets, the election of a racist part as the largest party in their lower house, first-hand comments and conversation from my Uncle and Aunt who live there. (My Aunt was born and raised there all her life, and admits the Swiss are very tight-nit in this way.)

I'm not saying they're some monolithically overwhelmingly racist country. But the current definitely pervades the country.

20. Andeavor macrumors 6502

That's all thanks to the Swiss People's Party, our equivalent of the GOP, which does not represent the rest of Switzerland. It's thanks to them most voting results seem anti-foreign, and all due to scary advertising tactics, immense fudning and some of their most popular members stirring up a storm every ****ing time.

Come to think of it, Mrs. Bachmann would fit right into it.

21. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

They won 27% of the vote. I think that at any given moment, 1/3 of any country is made up of this kind of people.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Here's an article of disputable purpose, but informative none the less.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks guys for the info! :)

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Aw man....I was hoping she would move and they would keep her. She'd fit right in with all those Chalet style cuckoo clocks. Her husband? Well, I am not sure he really fits in anywhere. lol

25. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Funny cos I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if a British politician had dual-citizenship..