Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I bought my protools setup for around 120 euro a year ago. I've got ProTools MP9 and the M-Audio Fast TrackC400. I've recording a number of analogue tracks for my solo stuff and my band and it's great for that. So easy to use.

However I am getting into electronica in a big way largely through Aphex Twin and Deadmau5, and I want to start working with that style now. Only ProTools is just very cumbersome with entirely MIDI tracks and RTAS plugins are so scares for electronica and dance stuff. My Dancehead friend uses Ableton and works wonders with that but I find that just too ugly to even look at having used ProTools. Funny thing is I absolutely love the Garageband App on my phone.
I made this with it in an hour :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZnK9kMGeNc

It was super super simple and enjoyable to use. It would take me hours and hours to get anything that refined made with ProTools. If Logic is anyway like Garageband I would seriously consider getting it for electronica.

What do you guys think I should do?
Preferably advice from people that have used both. :)

Last edited:

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Workflow wise, if i was in your boat, I would do programming and writing in logic and then bounce out and mix in protools

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Workflow wise, if i was in your boat, I would do programming and writing in logic and then bounce out and mix in protools

Yes that sounds good. Be nice not to have ProTools going to waste too.

You think the current 170 euro tag is good value for the current version of Logic Pro 9? Should I wait for an update?

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Yes that sounds good. Be nice not to have ProTools going to waste too.

You think the current 170 euro tag is good value for the current version of Logic Pro 9? Should I wait for an update?

the purchase price of logic is a ridiculous deal. get it now. we've been waiting for an update for 2 years now. An update, if its ground-up re-write... might suck (initially).

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012

yes. Logic pro is one hell of a powerful program!

as far as i know we have no idea when Logic 10 is meant to be out so you could be waiting for a while... and the upgrade price probably wont be too shocking

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I bought my protools setup for around 120 euro a year ago. I've got ProTools MP9 and the M-Audio Fast TrackC400. I've recording a number of analogue tracks for my solo stuff and my band and it's great for that. So easy to use.

However I am getting into electronica in a big way largely through Aphex Twin and Deadmau5, and I want to start working with that style now. Only ProTools is just very cumbersome with entirely MIDI tracks and RTAS plugins are so scares for electronica and dance stuff. My Dancehead friend uses Ableton and works wonders with that but I find that just too ugly to even look at having used ProTools. Funny thing is I absolutely love the Garageband App on my phone.
I made this with it in an hour :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZnK9kMGeNc

It was super super simple and enjoyable to use. It would take me hours and hours to get anything that refined made with ProTools. If Logic is anyway like Garageband I would seriously consider getting it for electronica.

What do you guys think I should do?
Preferably advice from people that have used both. :)

Logic is a professional tool. Garage Band is a consumer toy. There are similarities, but you're basically comparing a bucket of water to an entire lake.

As for Logic and MIDI, well, I know nothing else. Logic is all I use, day in and day out and I have very few complaints about it. I know a few folks who were in the exact same situation as you and switched to Logic because they wanted a well rounded DAW with excellent MIDI support. Some would even say that the MIDI support in Logic is unparalleled in the industry, mostly because of the Environment editor and the flexibility that provides.

If you're into electronica, then you might want to check out Propellerheads' Reason. It's the only other app I've seen people working with and not cursing at while trying to do predominantly MIDI based work. Other then that, you could probably go ask your question over at GearSlutz.com- but I think you're going to get the same answer. PT is well versed for recording/arranging/mixing/mastering. Logic is OK in those areas, but the killer features lie in the MIDI support.

-SC

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I also think Logic is a no-brainer for what it gives you for the price. You can start adding on some stuff from there - Komplete, or Komplete Elements or even Reason or Reason Essentials if you're looking for more drums/synths.

I know Logic has its detractors, but I really like it.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
the purchase price of logic is a ridiculous deal. get it now. we've been waiting for an update for 2 years now. An update, if its ground-up re-write... might suck (initially).

Logic 9 was released in July 2009 so it's actually been close to 4 years since a major update. There is either going to be a very major update or Apple has abandoned it. Maybe there will be a major overhaul of GB to the Pro and Prosumer level to address a changing business model for creating music content.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Logic 9 was released in July 2009 so it's actually been close to 4 years since a major update. There is either going to be a very major update or Apple has abandoned it. Maybe there will be a major overhaul of GB to the Pro and Prosumer level to address a changing business model for creating music content.

hahah time flies! never noticed.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I used Pro Tools for about 10 years solid. I'm now working exclusively in Logic exclusively. Logic is fantastic. I have never seen a reason to move to Pro Tools for the mixing stage. Logic is more than capable of seeing a project to completion.

Reactions: tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Blasting back into the past on this old thread to confirm Logic Pro is an absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I got Logic Pro 9 and then X, which I use all the time as my main DAW. Great for scribbling out an idea in minutes, and theres an abundance of useful and fun tools to experiment with right out of the box. Couldn't recommend it any more.

Amazing how much I've learned over the year and how much more professional my projects sounds today than they did back when I posted this thread.

If you have a Mac and don't know what DAW to get, get Logic. You won't regret it.

Reactions: JoelTheSuperior

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I would argue that if your projects sound more “professional”, that may be because you acquired some experience since you started that thread :), the DAW has little to do with it.

While I do love Logic, I’m in film music mostly and I couldn’t live without Pro Tools...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion only, but I'd suggest Cubase instead of either ProTools or Logic... ;)

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Blasting back into the past on this old thread to confirm Logic Pro is an absolutely brilliant piece of software.

I got Logic Pro 9 and then X, which I use all the time as my main DAW. Great for scribbling out an idea in minutes, and theres an abundance of useful and fun tools to experiment with right out of the box. Couldn't recommend it any more.

Amazing how much I've learned over the year and how much more professional my projects sounds today than they did back when I posted this thread.

If you have a Mac and don't know what DAW to get, get Logic. You won't regret it.

Great reply, OP. Glad too see that Logic worked out for you in the long run.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I would argue that if your projects sound more “professional”, that may be because you acquired some experience since you started that thread :), the DAW has little to do with it.

While I do love Logic, I’m in film music mostly and I couldn’t live without Pro Tools...

Of course it is, I’m not going to let Logic take all the credit for he hours and hours of learning I’ve gone through!

Every year that goes by I get a little better. Practice is the only way to improve no matter what you work with :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Joel wrote:
"What about Cubase is working well for you?"

I find Cubase's editing paradigm and editing tools superior.
Copying, processing audio directly within the timeline is as easy as moving words around in a word processor.

I -do not- use MIDI (can't comment on the pros or cons of same).
My recording is of live instruments only.

I tried a demo copy of Logic once, found it terrible, at least for me.

Reactions: JoelTheSuperior

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
I'm a big fan of Logic. I've been using it since I bought an educational discount version of Logic Elements 7. It's the reason I use a Mac, and continue to use Macs. I think anyone starting out in music production should consider buying a used Mac and Logic. I sometimes look around to other DAWs, just in case Apple does funny stuff with their Macs... and I still can't justify getting anything else.

I do like Cubase's chord track and some of it's midi editing.

Logic still gives me a ton of options in how I want to work. I'm always coming up with interesting new work flow ideas. I don't really like the one screen aspect, but thankfully they keep in all the floating windows.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Joel wrote:
"What about Cubase is working well for you?"

I find Cubase's editing paradigm and editing tools superior.
Copying, processing audio directly within the timeline is as easy as moving words around in a word processor.

I -do not- use MIDI (can't comment on the pros or cons of same).
My recording is of live instruments only.

I tried a demo copy of Logic once, found it terrible, at least for me.
Certainly interesting.

With Logic, if you ever do get bored definitely try Logic Pro X. If we were talking about Logic a few versions ago I'd definitely be using either Pro Tools or Cubase but the audio workflow is much, much better now especially once you enable click zones. Not to mention that Logic has selection based processing now.

Definitely need to try Cubase properly at some point though - last time I used it was version 5 so I feel like my experiences aren't relevant anymore.

Reactions: Morpheo and tevion5

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
If we were talking about Logic a few versions ago I'd definitely be using either Pro Tools or Cubase...

Totally, Logic Pro 9 vs Logic Pro X are two totally different DAWs. Nearly as stark a difference as something like Ableton Live vs Cakewalk Sonar.

The workflow in Logic Pro X is maybe the tightest bit of software Apple currently ship. Easily earns the Steve Jobs quality seal of approval.

Reactions: Morpheo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.