Switch Iphone from ATT to TMobile. Any problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petalino, Oct 28, 2012.

1. petalino, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

petalino macrumors regular

Hello.

I've been with ATT for a few years now and am a bit tired of their high rates for my Iphone service.

My current phone is an older 3s, but I am planning to buy a factory unlocked used 4s and take it to TMobile and port my current phone number there as well..

Should I expect any problems or difficulties?

I live in New York.
    Need 500 minutes of talk
    Unlimited SMS
    2 or 5 GB of webbrowsing
    Tethering for my Ipad.

Has anyone in this forum switched? Can you recommend it?
    Any problems?

TMobile tells me that their service is now 3G in most of NY, so I should get equally fast internet as I have now. In January they will have 4G mostly anywhere in NY.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

You should get the 500 min, unlimited text, 5GB Value Plan. It's $64.99 per month and allows tethering and portable hotspot. In the past the only problem with T-Mobile was that you could only get 2G on the iPhone but since you're in NYC where many areas have been refarmed you should get 3G that's actually faster than AT&T 3G data.

Another possibility is that you could go for the Truly Unlimited Data plan for $69.99. The data is unlimited but doesn't allow tethering. Currently iPhones can still tether even without tethering on their plan but I don't know how long T-Mobile will allow this loophole.

3. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

will Apps be affected by switching?

This is probably a stupid question, but will any of my Apps be affected by switching to TMobile.

They should not be, right?

I am just switching mobile signal providers and not the OS itself.

4. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Maybe not visual voice mail and possibly some other AT&T apps may no longer work. You would have just regular voice mail.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

carrier specific stuff won't work. Your visual voicemail won't work, you would lose all your voicemail, etc..

6. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

Visual voicemail

So if my Visual Voicemail will not work, how will I be notified of any new voicemessages?
    Do I have to make a call just to find out if there are any messages waiting?

Thanks