SwitchEasy Tones (blue and purple) review with high-res pix

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by eoren1, Sep 29, 2012.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I posted quickly in the other thread that I just got my new Tones case in the mail today. I got out the 'real' camera when my wife got home so I could compare the two side by side.

First impressions:
    Fits well. Everything lines up fine.
    Hard plastic feel with some texture to it. Smooth in and out of jeans pocket.
    I thought this was a 2-piece case like the Capsule Rebel but it is one piece. Also thought the corners would feel more like the mushy plastic of the Colors case but they are pretty firm
    Headphones fit (both new pods and my old Sony set)
    Camera clearance looks fine
    It does have a lip so that screen does not lie flat when laid face down

Wife's purple one
    [​IMG]

My blue one vs her nekkid i5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue and Purple side by side
    [​IMG]

Purple with optional headphone/charging cover pieces
    [​IMG]

Lip to cover front glass
    [​IMG]

I did not put on the screen protector on the front or back. Considering doing the back one though...we'll see

Post any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Overall very pleased with the case and feels good to not be nekkid anymore. I opted to forgo the AppleCare+ insurance for a number of reasons and it feels like the phone can now be dropped without risking instant irreparable damage.

2. Doc Evils macrumors regular

Would you say this case has good drop protection like the Speck Candyshell?

3. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Looks amazing and it does seem like this is the spiritual successor to Swicheasy's Eclipse for the 4 and 4S.

Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts!

Hope to get mine soon. I'm anticipating that I'll use this more than my Speck PixelSkin HD.

4. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

My only concern is drop protection. I dropped the i4 in a Colors case without any problem or concern. For good or bad, this case feels like it adds so little weight/size to the i5 and is firm so I am a bit concerned about damage from drops.

5. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

You said in your original post that the case was 'hard plastic'. Is this for both surfaces - the back textured part AND the part which goes around the screen? Looking at the photos, I imagined the case to have like a hard back part whilst the rest of the case was like a rubber feel but reading your review, it seems that this is not the case?!

6. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The wrap around is like a firm rubber I guess. My only comparisons are to the Switcheasy Trim which was hard plastic all around and the Colors which was a very soft rubber.

I can dig my nail into the lip and not into the back so maybe there is some drop protection there. Hopefully a 'real' review will clear this up.

7. Poob Bubes, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

How hard is the case to remove? My Eclipse took a bit of effort to do this.

Could you possibly post a shot of the backside?

8. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't taken it of and really don't plan to. Seems like would be not too hard though.

9. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I usually take my case off monthly to clean out any small debris that has gotten in. This will help prevent any scratches or imperfections such debris can cause over time.

10. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

11. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Softer than silicone - that's what my old Colors case was made of
    Never had TPU case
    Wife had Speck Candyshell. It feels a bit firmer than their rubberized interior/lip material which they call TPE.

----------

I cleaned it with the microfiber cloth and inserted it while using the cloth to hold it. I may end up applying the back protector that was included so I don't have to remove the case.

I do like the case overall. Just wondering what the Capsule Rebel might be like and if there are any orange cases in the wings. My favorite case has been the Colors one (though I disliked the home button cover) and I miss that bright orange...

12. GabooN macrumors regular

Looks nice, might get one eventually if the Speck Burton Fabshell I have proves to get dirty or fabric peals off. I love how switcheasy supplies the port covers. Using a switcheasy canvas on my iPad 2.

13. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

I have this case in both the blue as pictured above and white. I am finalizing my video review and will post it tonight on my channel with all the details and close up looks of both colors.

What I will mention here is that this is an above average case but not the best out there. (4 out of 5)

The case has a very plastic feel to it. Not the feel of a TPU case, for some this may feel cheap for others not a big deal.

Drop protection wise I would say its going to provide mid level range.

Has a lay on the table design so face down your screen will not touch the surface.

Here is the biggie for me....

I have reviewed tons of cases and this is by far one of the most DIFFICULT cases to remove. The harder plastic portion of this case is that middle section and because it extends to the sides of the phone it makes it a real task to remove. If you get this case TAKE YOUR TIME removing it as to not scratch your iPhone.

I am so concerned about this that now that I am done with my video review I doubt ill ever put the case on again (watch for a video giveaway soon) :D

To compare, the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer is very similar to this case and I would give it thumbs up over the Tones.

14. GabooN macrumors regular

Awesome thanks!

I hope switcheasy keeps it up and releases the other popular designs like the Rebel pretty soon.

15. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Can you provide a link to your YouTube channel as I would like to watch your review before I purchases this case?!

16. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Would you say the case is easier or harder to remove than the Poetic Atmosphere? I have the Atmosphere and it was a bit tough to get off.

17. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

To me it's more difficult to take off than the Poetic Atmosphere.

18. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice review.
    The material is so different from what I'm used to that I still can't decide what I think of it.
    The hard to remove aspect is a non-issue for me. Once I get a case, it stays on unless it breaks.
    I may end up switching to the Capsule Rebel when that comes out...especially if they come out with an orange one...

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I haven't found this case any harder to remove than any other full coverage snap in case. I use my finger nail to loosen up the bottom and the right edge of the phone. Then I just lift it out.

20. stickybuns macrumors 6502

The colors in your photographs look quite different from the ones displayed on SwitchEasy's website. How would you describe the blue in real life? It looks almost turquoise in your pics, and the purple looks magenta.

21. imazu macrumors regular

i just push the right upper corner and right lower corner easy to take it off.