iPhone XS Max Switched from 7+ and couldn’t be happier!

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
First of all, I’m still an apple lover that is a lil bit pissed off (maybe more than that).

So I was that kind of person that used to buy every iPhone since 4 (not counting more that 5 Macs in my purchase history), but stop at 7 cause X was not appealing to me.

I’m from Mexico:
Xs Max 64gb = 1421 USD
Mate 20 pro = 1157 USD
Note 9 = 1310
(XR is completely out of the equation, it’s a joke imho).

So I got a deal and got the Note 9 and this device is really premium, companies have reached Apple and some has surpassed its screen without that _____ notch. Note’s screen is gorgeous, the camera is really good... I know it doesn’t have the best chip in the industry?? Hahahahahaahah like if that makes a real world difference.

Mexico like many other countries has not the best economy, not everyone lives in USA. When upgrading, I gave 684 USD for the note, and if I wanted xs max, I had to give 473 USD more!! (A total of 1157 on contract) I was like “WHAT???!!” Did I see the 473 difference? Ofc! Not many cellphones have an apple at their back, not many come without a fast charger in the box, and not many come with a headphone jack! (Owner of sennheiser 650, beats pro and other headphones).

Now I see that Tim sent a letter to investors, and I AM VERY HAPPY ABOUT IT!

Apple used to be a tech company focusing on many products, not just one.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Funny how you dont even consider the XR. So many people have found it to be the best phone Apple has ever made, myself included. Many expected it to be the joke you are assuming it is - and were seriously mistaken.

Reactions: AppleHaterLover

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Congrats on your phone. I was a flagship fanboy since iPhone 1 and I laughed at the Xr too. But after extensive research I picked it over the Xs max and very happy with my choice.

Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.

Reactions: Goompa

cave1238

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Funny how you dont even consider the XR. So many people have found it to be the best phone Apple has ever made, myself included. Many expected it to be the joke you are assuming it is - and were seriously mistaken.
Agree 100%, I used my upgrade to get the 8 plus, returned it and got the XR 128 gig, couldn’t be happier. It’s a hell of a good phone for $799!!

MarkX

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Congrats on your phone. I was a flagship fanboy since iPhone 1 and I laughed at the Xr too. But after extensive research I picked it over the Xs max and very happy with my choice.

Whatever makes you happy is all that matters.
What lead you to decide the XR was the better choice?

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
What lead you to decide the XR was the better choice?
Ultimately it came down to the value I was getting. I pay cash for my phones so these $1200-$1500 phones are just getting out of hand for something I use for two years. It came down to what CAN’T the Xr do that the Xs can for $500 more? I’ve always used the wide angle lens and I use a wallet case so there is no benefit for a thinner/smaller bezel phone. My wife got the Xs and I can hardly tell between her OLED and my “720p” display.

It was an easy choice.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
First of all, I’m still an apple lover that is a lil bit pissed off (maybe more than that).

So I was that kind of person that used to buy every iPhone since 4 (not counting more that 5 Macs in my purchase history), but stop at 7 cause X was not appealing to me.

I’m from Mexico:
Xs Max 64gb = 1421 USD
Mate 20 pro = 1157 USD
Note 9 = 1310

So I got a deal and got the Note 9 and this device is really premium, companies have reached Apple and some has surpassed its screen without that _____ notch. Note’s screen is gorgeous, the camera is really good... I know it doesn’t have the best chip in the industry?? Hahahahahaahah like if that makes a real world difference.

Mexico like many other countries has not the best economy, not everyone lives in USA. When upgrading, I gave 684 USD for the note, and if I wanted xs max, I had to give 473 USD more!! (A total of 1157 on contract) I was like “WHAT???!!” Did I see the 473 difference? Ofc! Not many cellphones have an apple at their back, not many come without a fast charger in the box, and not many come with a headphone jack! (Owner of sennheiser 650, beats pro and other headphones).

The X wasn't appealing and you went with another device (from a different manufacturer) that you found appealing. Not sure what Tim's letter to investors or anything related to that would have to do with that.

Enjoy whatever it is that works better for you (for whatever reason that might be).

MarkX

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Ultimately it came down to the value I was getting. I pay cash for my phones so these $1200-$1500 phones are just getting out of hand for something I use for two years. It came down to what CAN’T the Xr do that the Xs can for $500 more? I’ve always used the wide angle lens and I use a wallet case so there is no benefit for a thinner/smaller bezel phone. My wife got the Xs and I can hardly tell between her OLED and my “720p” display.

It was an easy choice.
When it comes down to value for money I would whole heartedly agree. The XR doesn’t do anything better than the XS but equals it in some ways, for a lot of people that is enough.

If money or PWM isn’t a concern though I don’t think anyone can argue, the XS is the better iPhone.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Can’t you fly roundtrip from Mexico City to like Miami for $250? You could’ve had a weekend off and a new XS Max. Now you have to suffer through the next year with Android. Think about it

Reactions: tonybarnaby

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

I’m from Mexico:
Xs Max 64gb = 1421 USD
Mate 20 pro = 1157 USD
Note 9 = 1310

There’s a lot of questionable points you made in your post that don’t necessarily add up. Regardless, if you’re not tied to Apples ecosystem and you’re comfortable with the Note 9, it’s a good phone. However, in terms of software updates and security, I trust only Apple in this specific area, because I appreciate longevity and a company the values my security over anything else.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
can't be the best phone ever made when it's missing one of the most important features in the iPhone (TO ME, before you get all pissy).. 3D touch.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I can't afford a new M3 but you won't find me on a BMW forum crying about it.
This... is .... your ... life mission... to let all those other BMW owners know this and try to make them feel the pain and misery that you do. You will not be accepted into the afterlife unless you do this honorable task. Yes, you will be famous on that forum for a little while, but more importantly, accepted as someone who has lived life to its fullest.

At the op? I'm happy for you. You have successfully lived life to its fullest by complaining about Apple and letting Apple customers know that you are better than them and you laugh at them! Congrats. :) May Apple fall hard this year! Death to Apple! You are better than the millions and millions of sheep who have chosen Apple.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
It is not the flagship, which mean is not the best of the best of what apple was capable of.
Can’t you fly roundtrip from Mexico City to like Miami for $250? You could’ve had a weekend off and a new XS Max. Now you have to suffer through the next year with Android. Think about it
Suffer? About what? Because I have to use google photos? YEA, such a really painful thing to do... or do you mean the crazy buggy Apple Music problems? Perhaps the tiredness of the same layout for so many years? I’m sorry but I tend to get tired of the same thing.

I can't afford a new M3 but you won't find me on a BMW forum crying about it.
Would love to know your profile, so I can understand your comment.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
It is not the flagship, which mean is not the best of the best of what apple was capable of.

Suffer? About what? Because I have to use google photos? YEA, such a really painful thing to do... or do you mean the crazy buggy Apple Music problems? Perhaps the tiredness of the same layout for so many years? I’m sorry but I tend to get tired of the same thing.

Would love to know your profile, so I can understand your comment.
I've come to the conclusion that I don't have to justify what I do to anyone. What works for me, works for me because I'm me. Because I'm unique (or so I like to think), others will most likely not have the same opinion/experience.

My Note 3 was one of the greatest phones I've ever used. I loved it. I miss the s-pen. I used that a lot to annotate photos I sent people. I didn't like the Pixel phones or the Moto X. The Samsung S9 is actually pretty amazing, and the Note 9 is a phone I could use if I had to leave Apple, but I've been trying to give less control of my life to Google so after using Google exclusively since 2011, I went Google Free mid to early last year.

I definitely prefer Apple but Samsung's phones are amazing. My sister went from her 6s+ to an S9 and she loves it. She really likes it.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
The X wasn't appealing and you went with another device (from a different manufacturer) that you found appealing. Not sure what Tim's letter to investors or anything related to that would have to do with that.

Enjoy whatever it is that works better for you (for whatever reason that might be).
The letter is somehow (for me) the evidence that apple screwed things up. Shattering the market by introducing those prices, being so greedy that can’t even give proper charger or adapters right out the box. I’m not going to support those tricky-customer moves!
[doublepost=1546485937][/doublepost]
I've come to the conclusion that I don't have to justify what I do to anyone. What works for me, works for me because I'm me. Because I'm unique (or so I like to think), others will most likely not have the same opinion/experience.

My Note 3 was one of the greatest phones I've ever used. I loved it. I miss the s-pen. I used that a lot to annotate photos I sent people. I didn't like the Pixel phones or the Moto X. The Samsung S9 is actually pretty amazing, and the Note 9 is a phone I could use if I had to leave Apple, but I've been trying to give less control of my life to Google so after using Google exclusively since 2011, I went Google Free mid to early last year.

I definitely prefer Apple but Samsung's phones are amazing. My sister went from her 6s+ to an S9 and she loves it. She really likes it.
I just found that s pen and it’s amazing! Had fun doodling!
There are some problems thou... I had to take a photo from my iPad xD

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
Oh yeah, it was great. I used it all the time, notes, photo editing/annotation, and drawing pictures to my wife. Sadly, I have to differ with you in your opinion about Apple being a screw up, my wife and I both own Xs Max phones and we like them very much, but I do think Samsung Note phones are great. It's also nice to try something new - helps you decide what you really like best, especially after a long period of time. I went back and forth myself until the 6s+.

HTC MyTouch, Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Note 3, iPhone 6+, Moto X, 6s+, 8+, Xs Max. :D

Yeah, Apple is expensive. For some it isn't worth the extra expense.

Edit: lol - nice picture.

Reactions: I7guy and Goompa

1rottenapple

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2004
Lol there’s this thing called the USA border that unlesss you are well off you can’t just waltz on through without ICE looking at you sideways. #usa-passport_ftw
Hence why we got a hundred perhaps thousand sleeping in tent in Tijuana waiting to go through the border. Just saying didn’t mean to be political but the comment made me LOL

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Oh yeah, it was great. I used it all the time, notes, photo editing/annotation, and drawing pictures to my wife. Sadly, I have to differ with you in your opinion about Apple being a screw up, my wife and I both own Xs Max phones and we like them very much, but I do think Samsung Note phones are great. It's also nice to try something new - helps you decide what you really like best, especially after a long period of time. I went back and forth myself until the 6s+.

HTC MyTouch, Droid 1, HTC Thunderbolt, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Note 3, iPhone 6+, Moto X, 6s+, 8+, Xs Max. :D

Yeah, Apple is expensive. For some it isn't worth the extra expense.

Edit: lol - nice picture.
I like Apple, I really do, but for people that are not in USA, it’s pricing strategy is silly. I don’t want to support those high prices by buying their products at that price (the trade in programs and cheap), tech will never be like fashion, I don’t see the value on those things.

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I like Apple, I really do, but for people that are not in USA, it’s pricing strategy is silly. I don’t want to support those high prices by buying third products at that price (the trade in programs and cheap), tech will never be like fashion, I don’t see the value on those things.
Outside of the USA I can only imagine. When I was dating my then gf (now wife) when she was in Peru, I bought her an iPod touch in Peru and the import tax? on the device made it over $1000 USD in 2009 because it was outside of the USA. I can only imagine what an Xs MAX 512GB goes for in South America. lol. Maybe it was just Peru? I do not know.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The letter is somehow (for me) the evidence that apple screwed things up. Shattering the market by introducing those prices, being so greedy that can’t even give proper charger or adapters right out the box. I’m not going to support those tricky-customer moves!
There are some problems thou... I had to take a photo from my iPad xD
But it already sounds like you weren't interested in the X type of design, so the current line of phones wouldn't be of interest simply based on that it would seem.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Outside of the USA I can only imagine. When I was dating my then gf (now wife) when she was in Peru, I bought her an iPod touch in Peru and the import tax? on the device made it over $1000 USD in 2009 because it was outside of the USA. I can only imagine what an Xs MAX 512GB goes for in South America. lol. Maybe it was just Peru? I do not know.
Is even worse in South America! Obviously economy comes into the equation, but how much am I willing to spend in something that has not the best tech nowadays? Apple used to sell the best phones (camera, performance, apps, tech) but it was years ago...
Don’t get me wrong, I still like apple products but don’t see the money difference they’re asking.

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
Anything south of the USA has a very HIGH import tax on Chinese and Japanese electronics.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

coney718

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2014
You and many other people are happy with the XR. I think it exceeded expectations but calling it the best phone Apple ever made is a stretch.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Agreed - my XR continues to delight me.