Switched from ATT to TMO - free AWS hardware replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atteligibility, Jul 13, 2013.

1. atteligibility macrumors regular

I have read some conflicting reports, for those who went to TMO and managed to switch their non AWS iPhone to the latest revision, could you precise:

1) When did you originally purchase the iPhone 5?
    2) Where did you originally buy it from?
    3) Was the phone locked to a provider when you bought it?
    4) Was the phone unlocked when you switched it?
    5) If Yes to 4, was it a third party unlock or from provider?
    6) Where did you switch the phone (Apple store...)?
    7) Did you explain the reason for switching?
    8) Do you have Apple Care?
    9) Was there any cost associated with switching?
    10) Did you need to show proof of anything? Your new plan, termination of old plan, etc...

Sorry for the long list, but it would be very helpful to know who is eligible and how to go about it?

TMO works pretty good in my area, with some dead spots on my commute though, I would love to see if I can fix that with a AWS version.

2. ipaclansite macrumors member

Are you asking for people who specifically switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and had their iPhones switched to the AWS version?

3. atteligibility thread starter macrumors regular

This is my case, but more generally anybody that switched from provider X to T-Mobile

4. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

I had the launch day atnt iPhone 5 unlocked on tmobile. About 2 months ago my power button stopped working. Went to apple store and they replaced it with a new one that had tmobile aws support. All new tmobile and atnt iphone 5's support tmobile aws so you shouldn't have a problem getting aws iPhone 5 if you have genuine reason to get it replaced.

5. atteligibility thread starter macrumors regular

To rephrase my question, my reason would be to change phone because I am changing provider. Doesn't sound genuine enough for a free replacement, but some people in this forum have claimed to have no pb exchanging their phone for that same reason, so I would like more details about this, thx

6. ross1998, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

ross1998 macrumors 6502a

You don't have to change any carriers on iPhone 5 because both of the tmobile and atnt iPhone 5's made after April 12th are exactly the same. When I went to apple store my atnt iPhone 5 was already unlocked(I factory unlocked through eBay). The guy looked at my phone and confirmed the power button didn't work, he didn't ask anymore question. He went into the back of the store and brought a brand new iPhone 5 in white box and put my sim card into the phone, he told me the factory unlock automatically transfers when he enters the new phones and old phones imei into his iPad(the warranty also transfers, you don't get a brand new year or warranty). I turned my new iPhone 5 on and it indeed was the aws version. So they never asked me any questions about my carrier or anything like that, I would advice you to factory unlock your phone from eBay before replacing it so the replacement will be factory unlocked. Some people have went and told them they want a replacement to get tmobile aws and it worked but a lot of people have gotten rejected. Most people just come in and complain that their wifi connection is flakey at their house and their battery life sucks, and their phone over heats, or their iPhone barley connects to 4g. It all depends on the genious you get. Also you should restore your phone to 6.1.4 if you haven't because if you don't they will tell you the problem is with your old software and they will send you home telling you to restore your phone and the problem will go away.

7. ipaclansite macrumors member

I originally bought it factory unlocked from the Apple Store before T-Mobile officially carried the iPhone (back in December). I went to the Apple Store to get mine swapped with an AWS version.

Granted I had to go twice, the first time, I tried saying I was getting poor 4G coverage, etc. that did not work, since you are suggesting a hardware problem, they checked it by inserting an AT&T sim in it and found no issues. I left with the Genius telling me to contact T-Mobile suggesting my account did not have 4G enabled :rolleyes:

The second time (at another store), I explained to the Genius that I had already visited the Genius Bar before, and suggested that the problem I was experiencing (not getting 4G coverage) was a result of this official Apple Support document, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US After informing the Genius about the document, they identified my model, and determined I did not have the AWS version, and replaced it under warranty with an AWS one. They asked me where I was experiencing poor coverage, and explained to me that if I still experienced problems it was the fault of the carrier. I only have regular AppleCare so it was awesome to get them to replace it at no charge.

That is my experience with getting a replacement, at this point in time, T-Mobile has a pretty solid LTE coverage in my area, so I don't think it really matters anymore, but its good to know that I have the AWS version.

8. atteligibility thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your answer, but you misunderstand my question. my phone is unlock, I already switched from att to tmo, but with a non AWS iPhone 5, all that are facts.

Now I want better reception, with the latest hardware revision, so I would like to switch my iPhone to the latest revision.

I am looking for people with the same experience, that can share the details of the switch

thx

9. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Yes, any iPhone 5 a1428 made after April 12th have aws, doesn't matter if its factory unlocked, or tmobile, or atnt.

10. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

2 questions:
    Why would you get free hardware?
    Wouldn't the carrier be able to answer these questions better?

12. atteligibility thread starter macrumors regular

13. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Phone was purchased from AT&T on iP5 launch day. Was originally locked to AT&T, but I had it unlocked via an unlocked service on eBay. When I went in to the store, I told them I bought it unlocked from AT&T (ok, so I guess I technically did tell them a small lie). They just said ok, and proceeded as I mentioned.