Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi all,

So for many years i've been one to hit up fast food drive thru's on an almost daily basis. If not, i'll most likely make something not so healthy at home, including chips and dip, hot dogs, burgers, frozen TGI Friday like stuff, anything with cheese and sauces and dips.

Anyhow. I've decided to purchase a NutriBullet about 1 1/2 months ago and jumped in. I only blended vegetables; primarily collard greens, spinach, kale, some ginger, etc. For the water portion i'd either use water, coconut water or some healthy V8 alternative. Admittedly, these drinks don't taste as good as a McBurger, but i've surprisingly been making about 3-4 of these nutribullet drinks a day.

The difference between eating like a spoiled fast food brat vs. eating only veggies (and i say only veggies cause i'll throw in a fruit every once in a while, like a banana or apple) is that the feeling of being hungry and full is quite different. With healthy veggies im never really full to the point of needing to sit down and rest, as opposed to a baked potato and steak. Also, im hungrier a lot more now, to the tune of wanting to eat every 2-3 hours as opposed to once at 9am, again at 3pm, again at 7pm and once more before bed at 10pm. Oh! and having been only eating veggies in the nutria bullet, I've been noticing that I dont need to scarf down something to eat in order to put myself in a food coma.

Though this is not yet the optimal position to be in, I feel eating healthier is better for me in the long run as opposed to pizza and fried goodies. Yet the situation remains that since i've started eating only veggies i've been losing weight and looking healthier in so many ways. MY skin isn't oily, I sleep better, i'm more calm and composed, I feel in the zone when it comes to thoughts, as opposed to be mad and barking at people from time to time. I pick up water (none of that sugary health super-drinks loading with sugars) or tea.

Yet no energy! Since I've replaced meats and gone to veggies i've lost about 3 pounds, lowered my body fat by a few %, up'd my muscle weight, etc. I bought a pretty cool scale that I weigh myself on 1st thing sunday mornings to calculate the week.

Anyways, since i got this nutri-bullet and changed the way i've been eating i've not been exercising. One to two swims within the past 1 1/2 months at best, and one of the workouts i felt drained. interestingly i've noticed that from time to time when i find myself at a social or family gathering and im somewhat forced to eat meat i'll actually feel awesomely energetic and capable... BUT only if I don't overdo it and have a small amount of meat.

Doing some research I can only assume this is due to the B-complex vitamins. BTW, I track everything I eat daily online so i know exactly how much im consuming. Many days with the veggies i'll consume no fatty cholesterol and i;ll keep certain levels down, as opposed to ridiculous sodium intakes with just one trip to Burger-King.

My ideal success in coming times would be to continue eating healthy, add some energy to my plate via any healthy means so i can go and be motivated to workout again (i use to lift weights a year ago and be much more active).

Im a college student so I can't really buy fish to cook at home considering our kitchen sucks (and hence the nutri-bullet) and meats is like an addiction to me so i feel like whatever i do buy, if at all, should be a healthy decision.

As of now, time im posting this thread im considering buying my normal route of veggies but buying so lean meats and only having them first thing in the morning before working out, or perhaps after, i dunno...

I just want energy.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
What's wrong with meats?

There are good meats and bad meats, y'know...

Do eggs/oatmeal in the mornings, and get a big bag of frozen chicken breasts at Costco and cook 'em on the stove for lunch and dinner.

Also get a big box of oatmeal at Costco. Grab some canned tuna at Costco for the occasional quick fixes.

Mix up with your veggies+fruits.

Buy a blender and learn to love it.

Throw in the (rare) steak and salmon (rare because they're, well, sorta expensive :)).

That's what I did when I was a student living in an apartment. I was able to live pretty well on ~$200 a month on average for food. That's ~$2.50 per meal.

(Don't have a Costco membership? Buy one. It's more than worth it and pays for itself tenfold.)

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
You have no energy because you're only eating plants. Try a balanced diet.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This is the silliest thing I've read today. You went from one extreme to the other without considering nutritional requirements. Also why blend all your veggies? You probably lose a lot of fiber to the blender. Your body needs a combination of protein, fat, and carbohydrates to function properly in addition to certain vitamins and minerals. Vegetables provide some of this. They have very little fat and provide few sources of complete protein. Meat and poultry are also the typical sources of iron and B12. It's possible to get those things from vegetables, just more difficult. Rather than try crash diets, why wouldn't you just try a balanced one that is actually sustainable?

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
No protein? No fat? No good!!!

Lean protein: chicken, lean red meat, fish, chick peas, cheese (small amounts).

Fat: Olive oil, sunflower oil, small amounts of animal fats.

Also complex carbs, WHOLE grains like oatmeal, whole wheat, brown rice, alternatives like quinoa.

Lots of herbs and spices.

Search the net for healthy recipes and cooking that's not too "faddish" but promotes balanced diets and healthy cooking techniques.

Finally: go wild once a month and eat that double whopper and fries. Satisfy your sweet tooth mostly with fruit but say once or twice a week with some nice yummy dark chocolate.

Exercise.:apple: :cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As others stated your body needs certain nutrients, vegetarians do this through a number of ways including supplements.

Meat is not bad, and if you have a balanced diet, your energy will return. I will also say by exercising you'll be giving your metabolism a kick start.

Everything in moderation.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Interesting Post OP. Recently I have been eating a primarily vegetarian diet for about the past month now, and have been having similar lack of energy issues. I tend to eat more carbs than you, but also put in about 45 miles a week running.

I never really feel exhausted, but more so just average all the time. I thought it was do to a lack of B12, so I have been taking a b12 supplement for the past 10 days, but haven't really noticed any difference.

I'd be interested to hear how things go as you continue on you this journey.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Interesting Post OP. Recently I have been eating a primarily vegetarian diet for about the past month now, and have been having similar lack of energy issues. I tend to eat more carbs than you, but also put in about 45 miles a week running.

I never really feel exhausted, but more so just average all the time. I thought it was do to a lack of B12, so I have been taking a b12 supplement for the past 10 days, but haven't really noticed any difference.
If you are young and fit and healthy your body should have several years worth of stores of B12. If you've only been vegetarian for 1 month then its very unlikely (i.e. impossible) you are deplete of B12. The supplements won't do anything besides emptying your wallet and making a drug company richer.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
If you are young and fit and healthy your body should have several years worth of stores of B12. If you've only been vegetarian for 1 month then its very unlikely (i.e. impossible) you are deplete of B12. The supplements won't do anything besides emptying your wallet and making a drug company richer.

Good to know, thanks! Ill have to read up more on the subject.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This is the silliest thing I've read today. You went from one extreme to the other without considering nutritional requirements. Also why blend all your veggies? You probably lose a lot of fiber to the blender. Your body needs a combination of protein, fat, and carbohydrates to function properly in addition to certain vitamins and minerals. Vegetables provide some of this. They have very little fat and provide few sources of complete protein. Meat and poultry are also the typical sources of iron and B12. It's possible to get those things from vegetables, just more difficult. Rather than try crash diets, why wouldn't you just try a balanced one that is actually sustainable?

Actually, the Nutrabullet is designed to allow you to consumer the entire vegetable. Unlike my juicer that extracts the juice from Kale (for example), the Nutrabullet pulverizes the leafy green and you get the juice and pulp. There are theories behind the benefits of juicing over blending and vice versa, but as for losing something, I don't think fiber is one of them. Enzymes may be lost in the Nutrabullet because the high RPMs, but there are definitely pros and cons to both juicing and blending. You just have to decide which works best for you.

As for the rest, I agree. This guy went from one extreme to the other and it sounds like a low-grade metabolic shock. This slows you down immensely and causes the issues that he is having, if not more.

You have no energy because you're only eating plants. Try a balanced diet.
This. Do you think you can drink 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and feel fine? You need good carbs and protein. You can't just jump into a juice fast (read up on those) blindly. You need to ensure you're getting everything you need or you will have no energy and you will suffer physically. Lack of protein can cause hair loss, lack of energy can **** with your sleeping and metabolism. Just do some reading. Don't buy a blender and jump in thinking it will be just fine.

You need to take care of yourself. Talk to a doctor, a doctor in person ... not an MR doctor. If you don't want to talk to a doctor, at least educate yourself using the plethora of information found online regarding blending and juicing. Be sure you're getting the minimum calories/fiber/protein etc that you need a day to keep your energy up and your metabolism running at whatever your normal rate would be. Also, no one is the same so what works for someone else may not work for you. That's why it is always useful to understand what you're doing and how you should adjust if needed.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I've heard friends who've done detox diets say the same thing. Try reintroducing lean meat and complex carbs. You've got good intentions but there's room for moderation.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Actually, the Nutrabullet is designed to allow you to consumer the entire vegetable. Unlike my juicer that extracts the juice from Kale (for example), the Nutrabullet pulverizes the leafy green and you get the juice and pulp. There are theories behind the benefits of juicing over blending and vice versa, but as for losing something, I don't think fiber is one of them. Enzymes may be lost in the Nutrabullet because the high RPMs, but there are definitely pros and cons to both juicing and blending. You just have to decide which works best for you.

As for the rest, I agree. This guy went from one extreme to the other and it sounds like a low-grade metabolic shock. This slows you down immensely and causes the issues that he is having, if not more.

I'm not entirely familiar with the Nutrabullet. Most juicers tend to strain some of it, which is why I mentioned that. Things that are very fibrous like broccoli can be more difficult to digest, which would be why juicing or light steaming works. The problem with juicing is that some vitamins are not very stable, and break down quickly. As part of a normal diet, you also would not fill up as fast as you would consuming them as whole fruit and vegetables. Then of course the OP mentioned V8, as he fell victim to their marketing. It lacks some of the vitamins found in whole fruits and vegetables, and is high in sodium. I wouldn't drink the stuff for health reasons. Water is really the healthiest beverage when you're thirsty.

I've been thinking about the other part. It's definitely more difficult without a decent kitchen. Preserved versions of meats and things are generally not so great. As for the steak and potato analogy, the only reasons that should make you want to sit down and rest would be excessive portions or something like sour cream being used in the potato if you're lactose intolerant. I didn't eat that well through college, so I'm not sure what to say there. It definitely needs to be more moderate to avoid that drained feeling at times.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not entirely familiar with the Nutrabullet. Most juicers tend to strain some of it, which is why I mentioned that. Things that are very fibrous like broccoli can be more difficult to digest, which would be why juicing or light steaming works. The problem with juicing is that some vitamins are not very stable, and break down quickly. As part of a normal diet, you also would not fill up as fast as you would consuming them as whole fruit and vegetables. Then of course the OP mentioned V8, as he fell victim to their marketing. It lacks some of the vitamins found in whole fruits and vegetables, and is high in sodium. I wouldn't drink the stuff for health reasons. Water is really the healthiest beverage when you're thirsty.

Yes, the Nutribullet will allow the consumption of everything you blend. So you get the fiber from the broccoli and such. Here is a bit about the three types of juicers with the first two being most commonly found on the market today.

There are three main types of juicers -- Centrifugal, Masticating and Triturating. The Centrifugal grinds fruits and vegetables and pushes the extract through a strainer at a high speed. HealthDiaries.com notes that this method is cheaper and easier, though this type leaves a significant amount of juice in the pulp, potentially limiting your enzyme intake. The Masticating juicer chews the vegetable and breaks apart plant cells, releasing more enzymes and vitamins. Masticating juicers also extract more juice from the same amount of vegetables as the Centrifugal. Triturating juicers preserve and extract the greatest amount of nutrients in vegetables by using less heat in the machine. These types slowly crush the vegetables before pressing them under extreme pressure. This process breaks apart the toughest plant cells, releasing an even greater amount of nutrients.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305586-vegetable-juicing-enzymes/#ixzz2U7xDE5RX

The slower the juicer the better because it preserves enzymes. Like I said though, there is no one-stop juicer and they all have their strengths. For the OP, it sounds like the Nutribullet is best for him. I personally cannot handle the texture of the pulpy content I get from the Nutribullet, but that is just me. I also do not do juice fasts or haven't bothered past a 3 day one.

OP, I'm really not trying to hijack your thread but there may be some good reading for you.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just stick to the 4 main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup like Buddy the elf and you'll be fine.:p

But as others have said, you need a balanced diet.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Everything in moderation. Including moderation itself at times. Just make sure your diet is balanced.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Recently I cut out deserts (not carbs) and doing nothing else different, I've lost about 8 pounds. Now I'm thinking about cutting out red meat. It's going to be tough. I seem to remember reading that chicken and fish are better for your health? :)

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Recently I cut out deserts (not carbs) and doing nothing else different, I've lost about 8 pounds. Now I'm thinking about cutting out red meat. It's going to be tough. I seem to remember reading that chicken and fish are better for your health? :)

One of the big things is portion size. An average steak is actually 2-3 portions. A pork chop is about one to one and a half (so the restaurant gives you two of them!). Watch your portion size and you will go a long way.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
HappyDude,

You are smart to cut down the amount of fast food and increase the amount of fresh vegetables and fruits that you are eating. However, for energy and a healthy diet you need to have protein. I've been following a healthy food plan that promotes weight loss and maintaining your goal weight once achieved. Since January I've lost around 85 pounds. I've done all of this without exercise, just changing my eating habits. No fast food, no high calorie/high fat processed foods, no soda/sugary drinks, and close attention to portion sizes. I eat a specific amount of servings from various food categories each day (2 proteins, 4 vegetables, 2 fruits, 2 starches, and 1 fat) and drink 80 oz of water. I'll be at my goal weight when I lose about 15 more pounds. At that point we'll start adding back into my diet some of the restricted items and learning how to stabilize and maintain my weight. I am now beginning to add some exercise as that will be a part of keeping a healthy lifestyle. I do use some supplements like a fat burner, fish oil, and a multivitamin, but these will also be stopped when I reach my goal weight.

The most vital thing I've learned through all of this is the importance of being consistent, intentional, and proactive with your eating habits. Being healthy truly is a lifestyle change and as you make the changes your body will respond. A balanced diet and appropriate self care (sleep, exercise, etc.) will enable you to maintain daily energy, strength, and focus.

All the best with your efforts, keep it up. All you need is to focus a little more on being balanced with the addition of some protein.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
One of the big things is portion size. An average steak is actually 2-3 portions. A pork chop is about one to one and a half (so the restaurant gives you two of them!). Watch your portion size and you will go a long way.

Agreed. Portion size has gotten ridiculous.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The NutriBullet allows for everything from the vegetable and fruit to be kept within the drink, so every "nutriblast" drink (as they call it) allows you to drink all the fiber and pulp. My drinks always include some variation of spinach, carrots, raw honey, kale, collard greens, almonds, peanuts, peanut butter, maca powder, raw cacao, chia seeds... with water usually being the base drink. When I mentioned V8, I did that only when I bought the V8 bottle but i've never been a fan of the taste. Admittedly, i'm the guy at the grocery aisle checking out the nutritional content. I'm confident that V8 bottle was their low sodium crap-tasting version, but on a daily basis water is the base for my drinks. That or Almond Milk. Oh, and oat bran or oatmeal within the drink; whichever is around. Admittedly my drinks don't taste great, unless I throw in the almond milk or honey or the cacao. Aside from those ingredients my Nutri-drinks taste like the earth.

Considering i'm inputing all the nutritional intake on MyPlace via the LiveStrong site I'm seeing a decent amount of daily protein intake with just the veggies.

I mention all this only because even on my best days i'll have moments where i'll crave a burger from Five Guys or In & Out, of which I had last night. I like the feeling of fullness that meat provides (or cheese suffices as well), as opposed to that feeling of content when finishing a healthy veggie-drink. It's not uncommon for me to step into the kitchen at 11pm and make eggs with noodles. I have some rice noodles, like those pad-thai ones.

I've certainly lost weight but thats only cause I hardly include fruits in my blends; while I know of others that put nothing but fruits in their blended drinks and in fact gain weight due to the natural sugars.

*As a side note, I love my Nutribullet. I make hummus, guacamole and other crazy concoctions all the time.

**As an extra side note, I've never been a sweets or dessert kinda guy but since consuming mainly veggies I've noticed my sweet tooth waking up. In the past I could care less about chocolate cake and what not; but now there's an appeal.

Finally, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon which has been on the books for a while. I'm hoping that i'll have my levels checked out and perhaps even seek a nutrionalist's assistance regarding all this. Considering years ago I used to spend about $200 a month on fast food alone, I feel i've been progressive strides in my nutritional intake; yet admittedly the burger and meat cravings remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.