Switched to my cracked 2g to be grandfathered..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shamash, Jun 3, 2010.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I've gone through one of each of the iPhones, but sold my 3g and 3gs on Ebay (sad money troubles.)

I'm going to be getting the new iPhone when it comes out, HOPEFULLY next week. I had to put on my 2g iphone with a cracked screen to grandfather in the unlimited data plan in the meantime..

If it doesn't come out next week on Friday and one is available for me to get, which let's be honest, it probably won't be... I will be stuck with this cracked screen phone all summer. Does anyone have any tips to make it more bearable? I can't afford 90+ dollars just to replace the screen+digitizer on a 2+ year old phone that is being replaced soon enough.

2. azsprty macrumors 6502

If you want the data plan than call and add it now then get the new phone and your good

I'd love to be in Flagg right now, hotter than hell here in Phoenix

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm in Portland at the moment, was gonna be in Flag but my job didn't need me for the summer sadly, won't be back up til August.

I have the data plan on my old cracked iPhone, I know I'll be good.. I'm looking for ways to make the cracked screen more bearable, or maybe a cheaper way to fix it.

4. azsprty macrumors 6502

Well rumor is the new phone should arrive the 11th or 18th.

5. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

Yeah, I'm praying for the 11th, because then I will be able to do it.. but if it's the 18th, I will be at work for the summer, and unable to do the upgrade...

6. manjaap macrumors member

so right now i am on verizon and i have an old iphone 3g. i am definitely planning on switching for the new iphone, but would it make sense for me to switch early just to grandfathered in? would i have to sign a new contract or since i already have a phone i could just do month to month so that when i do get the new iphone, i can just sign the two year contract then to get the discounted price.

7. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'd call AT&T and ask them about it. I know the new plans come in on Sunday or Monday, so if you do it, it will have to be before then.

8. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Hope your not grandfathering yourself into paying more than you need to.

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

He most likely did.

10. snsr macrumors member

That's exactly what I did yesterday; took my jailbroken 2g from T-mo to AT&T. The rep at the store wasn't able to add the unlimited 3G data plan (as the phone isn't a 3G phone..) but they did give me an unlimited "pda" data plan and an assurance that I would be grandfathered. No contract, upgrade eligibility preserved.

11. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

Alright, I might be "paying more than I need" according to you, but this is the thing about it..

Before I was paying $30/month for my unlimited Blackberry, I use on average 50-100 mb/month on my Blackberry. When I had my iPhone 3GS I used average 2-3GB a month.

When the new iPhone with iChat comes out, my mom is also getting it, and my sister, and my dad. This means they'll all want to be doing video chat instead of regular phone calls, and I will probably using a lot of that over the 3g network. Therefore, I need to make sure I'm on unlimited, because I used more than 2GB/month on my old iPhone anyways.