Switched to streaming tv exclusively how do I make sure the streaming always works w/o interruption

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Nov 2, 2017.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

We are a family of 4 and sometimes we download windows updates in the background on our PCs, stream a YouTube video, or download a game. How do I make sure this does not effect the streaming tv without interruption or lowering the quality of the stream please ? Of course we all have more than one device so yeah.

We already have a good router. ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Wireless AC5300 Gigabit Router. This router is good enough right?

Our internet tier we pay for is 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload but it is more like 60 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload. Is this enough for 4 people with multiple devices with streaming tv exclusively or do we need to go up a tier ?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Try it as is. Guessing the load will depend on who is on and what they are doing.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Just had buffering when one of my family members went to QVC or HSN live stream on the Roku. :( It while I was downloading at full speed.

I have QOS on.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

5. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Then what else would it be please? Thanks.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Their end.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I think a lot more information is needed to give a good answer.

Streaming what? In 4K?
    How many streams at a time?
    Are you asking if your internet speed is fast enough? Or your Router? Or both/either?

You could have the best internet and the best router and still have buffering issues if servers are slow/busy.

Based on what you already mentioned, I would guess that you would be fine unless you are downloading a big file, or streaming 4K.

I currently have FiOS 50/50 Mbps and I never see buffering from 1080p streams. I was using 25/5 Mbps from Comcast a few months ago, and would hardly notice an issue from the download side of things. So 50 is fine depending on what you are using it for.

As for downloading large files, maybe you could reduce the available bandwidth to those devices to reduce chances of buffering.

If you are doing multiple streams in 1080p, 50/5 should be fine for that for services like Netflix. Actually, you could stream Netflix on about 10 HDTVs at the same time before noticing any buffering using 50/5.

8. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

1080p

At most 2 or 3 streams at a time

Yes asking if bother my internet speed and router is faster enough?

We are using Netflix, CBS All Access, and Directv now

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

You should be fine unless you are downloading large files (video game updates, software updates) around your full bandwidth speed.

Netflix 1080p streams using about 5-8 Mbps, so multiple streams should be fine. Now, your ISP could be throttling Netflix servers. Verizon took a lot of heat from doing that. You can use fast.com and compare it to speedtest.com to see if maybe Netflix is being throttled.

Also, sometimes servers have too much traffic and can slow down streams.

If either of these happen, there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Sometimes things buffer, even with having the best internet speeds.

If it happens a lot, then there might be a problem.

10. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks how can I slow down all other traffic if I am downloading on a pc so app updates on my phones and tablets download at maximum speed when apps are updating or new ones are being installed ?

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am not sure if I understand you question, are you asking how you prioritize bandwidth to you PC, phones, and tablets?

I thought you wanted to prioritize your streaming device?

Anyways, depending on the device/software, you could possibly limit the maximum download/upload speed. This would probably be the easiest for a novice tech. For example, it the settings for PLEX, I can limit the available bandwidth for streaming. On Blizzards Battle.net app, I can limit the maximum download speed for updates to the game.

You might also be able to do this from your router's settings, although, I am not sure if that would be network priority or internet priority. I never tried this.

But, based off of everything you mentioned so far, I would suspect that you shouldn't have too many buffering issues unless you are streaming while downloading large files, such as video game updates. Even then, I question if that is the problem.

Unless your router is not working properly, it should be fine for what you described. Is your streaming box wired or wireless? If wireless, could the signal level be low, as in too far away? Could you possibly try a wired connection?