Switched to Verizon and got iphone 5..thinking about going back now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thaghost, Sep 24, 2012.

1. thaghost macrumors 6502

I switched over to Verizon yesterday from ATT. I am waiting till the 8th of october to cancel. My wifes contract on her line is up that day and I will have to pay $205 to cancel my phone. However, i am thinking about returning my verizon iphones and going back to ATT. I have the 4S and didn't notice that much of a difference. I am eligible to upgrade in May 2013. So If i stay with ATT i could get the next iphone ya know. I switched to verizon for the supposed coverage in chicagoland area. However, my buddy has an iphone 5 att and has been averaging 10mbps faster than my verizon iphone. Also, I have unlimited data with my ATT. I believe I am out the activation fees and the amount of the plan I used thus far.

What are guys' thoughts on this?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same as always: decide based on your needs/wants.

3. thaghost thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not too active on here, is this a common question? Hard to tell with the pages of threads that are created in a single day.

4. ginwrak macrumors member

Agree

How is your coverage now with Verizon vs when you have ATT?

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would stick with AT&T mainly because you still have unlimited data with them.

6. apierrec, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

apierrec macrumors 6502

Stay with AT&T since that would mean you will keep the unlimited data plan too. At worst, even if your area is not covered by LTE, AT&T has consistently broader coverage of 3G and 3.5G (in absence of LTE) than any networks. IMO, unlimited data plan is becoming an endangered specie or the holy grail in telecom industry. :D

If it is Verizon vs. Sprint or T-Mobile, I will tell you take Verizon.

Anyhow, if you could delay or do some further tests/analysis, the better. You know what's best for your needs. Am in the same sort of dilemma (it's just that I travel a lot overseas).

7. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

It really depends on your needs. I'm also in Chicago and spend a lot of time in the loop during peak hours. When I had AT&T (iphone 4 and 4S) as recently as last year I could not use data at all while in the loop. Not even to check an email or look at a map while walking, it is that bad. AT&T LTE is different I assume because the network is not overloaded yet. If you are NOT watching movies on your phone / downloading large files or doing data intensive tasks, you should not notice any difference between 10 Mbits vs 20 Mbits. AT&T is also throttling unlimited data once you reach a certain point I believe. Go for reliability, whichever works best for you only you can decide. I avoid AT&T like the plague and am very happy with Verizon.

8. thaghost thread starter macrumors 6502

My friend has the iPhone 5 with ATT and is getting about 10mbps more than I am with verizon. Plus not being able to use the data while on the phone is a big pain in the arse...I was just getting a lot of dropped calls on their 3g and 4g network...

9. ginwrak macrumors member

Based on your comments, looks like your better off with ATT (this is solely my opinion, I am no expert).

You are comparing ATT vs Verizon data speed and ATT wins as its "faster" in your area.

Here is why I say ATT.
    Your deal breaker here is voice and data at the same time and currently only GSM carrier will allow you to do that.

drop calls? how often? based on how many calls. if you made 10 calls and 8 of the 10 calls drop thats pretty bad. but if 10 calls probably 2-3 its somewhat tolerable as the connection may just be spotty.

I switched from ATT to Verizon. Got better coverage, data speed and more importantly less dropped calls. Downside YES, gave up simultaneous voice+data and unlimited data. But it just worked out better in my house hold.

10. thaghost thread starter macrumors 6502

I was dropping about 40% of my calls. I was really expecting the verizon lte to top the att lte. Not expecting a 10mbps difference!! Also, the verizon 3g out here is pretty bad. But i made several calls and the calls are clearer and never dropped a call.