Switched to Verizon - Does their data plan allow to use iPhone as Hotspot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD76, Sep 14, 2012.

1. JD76 macrumors member

Currently on AT&T, I can use my phone as a hot spot... Does Verizon allow it?

2. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

On their share everything plans it is included.

3. CheesyTators macrumors member

Yep it's included at no additional charge with the share everything plan. Lets just hope the hotspot is stable and doesn't disconnect all the time like it does on my old Android 4G phone.

4. SR71 macrumors 68000

I use the personal hotspot a lot on my Verizon iPhone 4 during the winter up in NH where I don't have wifi and it's worked great. Not the fastest but it's not slow either. It's very reliable.

5. CheesyTators macrumors member

Thanks for the info. That's great news. I am hoping it will work great. I need stable...LOL

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

Yup, it's very stable. You should have no issues. In NH, I run it for hours at a time and with 4-6 devices connected to it and in use and it definitely does slow down if a lot of people are connected and using the hotspot at the same time, but thats over Verizon 3G with 2 bars of signal in Ossipee, NH, so with an LTE iPhone this will be a non-issue since with LTE I get anywhere between 14-25Mbps down, and around 5-12Mbps up. Good times getting those speeds on my HTC Thunderbolt. Too bad the battery only lasted 3 hours lol. Good thing Apple waited for the second-gen LTE chips that use MUCH less power.

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

On LTE Verizon cannot stop tethering of any kind. You are allowed to tether and verizon can't stop you.

8. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

It's true for the (new) iPad. I take my sim out of my android phone and put it in my iPad and tethering works and I'm on unlimited data. But will this be same for i5? That's the question.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Would this still be the case on a grandfathered unlimited data plan?

10. CheesyTators macrumors member

Well if you are currently using a 4G phone on a grandfathered UNLIMITED plan, you can add unlimited 4G hotspot for $30/month. This promo was introduced back when 4G was released last year. I thought it had ended but it's still available. And yes, it's unlimited because I had over 15GB one month and was never throttled at all. Problem I had was staying connected on my Thunderbolt phone.

This is only valid if you currently have an unlimited plan AND a 4G phone. it is not available for 3G only phones. It is a 4G promo only.

If you are on a Share Everything plan, Verizon can no longer charge you for tethering due to an FCC ruling this year. On a grandfathered unlimited plan, they can still charge the $30/Month.

Hope that helps.

----------

I'm stoked because I get full 4G signal where I am at so it should work great. Thanks again for the insight.