Switched to Verizon family plan but not aloud to get unlimited data! HOW TO GET?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clutchm3, Oct 10, 2011.

1. clutchm3 macrumors regular

clutchm3

Hey guys so I pre-ordered the Verizon iPhone through the Verizon website. My family has been a customer with Verizon for 10 years and my whole family is on the Verizon network where they are all grandfathered into the unlimited data. Every except me as I am joining the plan when switching from AT&T.

My question is...is there anyway I can get unlimited data?! Has anyone ever talked a REP into allowing unlimited data after July 7th. How do I go about making this happen?! I am so annoyed :mad:

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No.

3. smokechaser macrumors regular

smokechaser

The only way to get unlimited data it to be grandfathered into it. I've specifically talked to a rep about it...it doesn't even exist in their system for new customers so they can't even click it to add or anything. The only way is to move the # and associated data plan along with an existing # that has it. 100% positive about this.

4. theperipheral macrumors 6502

You are effed.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just like AT&T there is no longer a "way" the rep could even do this.

It can not happen!

6. utl768 macrumors 6502

exactly

no way to get it

thats the reason why im stuck with stupid att

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You might be able to "swap plans" with one of the other phones on your plan that does have unlimited data, e.g. if one of the phones is historically well below a tiered level then they could use your tiered plan and you could use their unlimited. Should just be a matter of getting Verizon to swap the numbers.

8. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

One rep told me this but she said that if I take over their line the other person getting kicked out will HAVE TO CHANGE their number which is ridiculous.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

not anymore ridiculous than you trying to find a loophole in the system. as a matter of fact it actually makes sense that they would leave the number since they are giving you their line

10. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

It makes no sense if you have a family plan. You are ALL in the same plan. I see no point in not allowing one member of the family plan to have unlimited and another to not.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Maybe Verizon's family plans are different than AT&T's, but I know on mine, the "family plan" means we share minutes. We don't share data. Everyone with a phone line has their own individual data plan.

12. coasterswim macrumors 6502

You aren't all on the same data plan, though. There is no family data.

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it makes perfect sense, data is an addon and not part of the family plan itself

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yep, as mentioned by others - the Family Plan is a minute sharing plan. Data is not shared, it's added to each phone independently. So "the point" is that Verizon does not want more people to have Unlimited data, because that is a feature they no longer offer.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are the one who is not making sense.:p

Listen to what these people are telling you.

Get over it and move on.:eek:

16. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

Alright so should I just stick to AT&T do you guys believe unlimited data should be kept?

17. doboy macrumors 68000

18. fjrabon macrumors regular

Hard to say whether or not unlimited data will be worth it. I personally am going to stay with AT&T no matter what, I've only ever had good experiences with them (though through FAN I get business customer care, which may help some of the customer service issues some people claim).

Anyway, my current plan is to keep my grandfathered in unlimited data for the time being, see what my usage patterns are with the iPhone 4S, and then make a decision down the line if I'm not using much data. Currently I'm probably on wifi for about 70% of my day (home and work) so it seemingly wouldn't be a big deal, but I am unsure as to how much additional data I'll use on the 4S, what with HPSA+ perhaps making watching netflix movies on data more bearable. Also, it's hard to know how much additional data siri will use when communicating back to the home servers. I doubt I'll actually go over 4 GB, as I've never come close before, however, who knows with the new tech? Better to be safe and keep unlimited data for the time being than wishing ruefully after you change your plan and can't get it back is my take.

19. d0ster macrumors regular

Well how much data do you actually use? I understand as a consumer, we want that "unlimited" data plan because its more bang for your buck. If its more beneficial for you to be on Verizon cause the rest of your fam is on Verizon and you dont use a massive amount of data on 3G, perhaps you should concede and switch. But if its not that big of a deal for you to stay on AT&T then I sugget you stay.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Unlimited will go away for all the carriers soon and you will be the one who chooses to do it!

Just wait and see!

21. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

How in the world did you mix up allowed with aloud?

22. omgwut macrumors 6502

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm with AT&T but a friend with VZW was in same situation as OP. He went as far as one could in the chain and wasn't able to get unlimited data. He even threantened that he would take his whole family plan to Sprint. VZW he said didn't budge.

24. wadawow macrumors member

Curious..dh has a blackberry w/ unlimited data...

if he switches to the iPhone can he transfer the unlimited data plan? or is it different since it's Blackberry to iPhone?

25. tritonj macrumors 6502a

stop spreading unsubstantiated rumor. carriers have retired plans and rates that are still active from over 10 years ago. so it wouldn't be out of the question if unlimited data stayed around too