Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrichard2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I'm yet another switcher with a list of questions. I'm a long term Linux user but win98 gets run for photoshop. I'm switching because I'm tired of fiddling in both OSes and want it to just work.

It seems that both the newer and older 2Ghz PowerMacs are the same price. AFAICT, the difference are that the older 2Ghz has a slightly better video card (but only by $50). The newer 2Ghz CPUs might have some additional power savings functionality (is it actually used?).

This will be a daily driver doing the following:
- photo imaging: photoshop, scanning, editing, printing
- email, web browsing
- development: edit, compile, run java code
- games: the very occasional jaunt with and F18 or flightgear.org, FPS games are not my style
- mapmaking: via a GPS

Here's my thoughts:
- newer 2Ghz - hoping they ironed out any previous problems in this model (noise?)
- get an additional 1GB of memory from crucial

Questions:
- What about airport? If I get an airport scanner, will it work with the netgear wireless router we have?
- What is a good backup solution? Writing DVDs?
- If I want to upgrade that graphics card later, what would it cost? Will I even notice the difference in flight sims?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
jrichard2 said:
Questions:
- What about airport? If I get an airport scanner, will it work with the netgear wireless router we have?
- What is a good backup solution? Writing DVDs?
- If I want to upgrade that graphics card later, what would it cost? Will I even notice the difference in flight sims?

1) If you already have an wireless network, Airport Extreme will work with it fine.

2) Burning DVD's is a great way to backup your data, and fast with the new 8x Superdrive.

3) Upgrade the graphics card now if you can. The 9600XT is LIGHTYEARS better than the FX5200 that the Dual 2ghz comes with. For $50, its like getting 100% more graphics card. You WILL notice a difference with high-res flight sims like X-Plane.

jrichard2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
OK. Any opinions on the new vs old dual 2.0?

Is there something in the new one that is worth the $50 difference?

allroy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
Pickup a refurb Rev A

for $1999 if you can still get em. Got one for my girlfriend last week when the Rev B's came out. Barefeats did an initial test on the Rev A & Rev B Dual 2's with the same results. Rev A shipped with a 4x SuperDrive, ATI 9600 and 160GB HD, Rev B 8x SuperDrive, FX5200 and 80GB.

So get 1GB of extra ram around $170 and if you really want an 8x Super Drive around $120 for the Pioneer 107 = $290 you're still better off than the new Rev B.

-j

Wait for the x800 ATI's to be ported to MAC or get a 9800 here...
link

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
allroy said:
for $1999 if you can still get em. Got one for my girlfriend last week when the Rev B's came out. Barefeats did an initial test on the Rev A & Rev B Dual 2's with the same results. Rev A shipped with a 4x SuperDrive, ATI 9600 and 160GB HD, Rev B 8x SuperDrive, FX5200 and 80GB.

So get 1GB of extra ram around $170 and if you really want an 8x Super Drive around $120 for the Pioneer 107 = $290 you're still better off than the new Rev B.

-j

Wait for the x800 ATI's to be ported to MAC or get a 9800 here...
link

This is what I did. I am the happy owner of a Rev. A dual 2ghz. It runs great, and has no issues with noise, sound, etc. All the problems I read about don't exist for me... I might have gotten lucky, but for $500 it was worth the risk. Pay less, get more of a computer.. it's simple logic.

jrichard2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
I hadn't noticed that the superdrive speed was different. Thanks!
But I think the hard drive is the same size. At least according
to what I see in the online apple store now. Am I misinterpreting
the hard drive size?

Code:
	Rev A		Rev B		advantage
HD:	160GB/7200	160GB/7200	same
DVD:	4x superdrive	8x superdrive	rev B
video:	ATI 9600	nvidia FX5200	rev A
mem:	512MB		512MB		same
bus:	1Ghz		1Ghz		same

allroy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2004
my mistake...

I was thinking about the Dual 1.8 which got a smaller standard HD, Dual 2 is the same.

Don't forget $500 savings advantage = Rev A

Enjoy!

jrichard2 said:
I hadn't noticed that the superdrive speed was different. Thanks!
But I think the hard drive is the same size. At least according
to what I see in the online apple store now. Am I misinterpreting
the hard drive size?

Code:
	Rev A		Rev B		advantage
HD:	160GB/7200	160GB/7200	same
DVD:	4x superdrive	8x superdrive	rev B
video:	ATI 9600	nvidia FX5200	rev A
mem:	512MB		512MB		same
bus:	1Ghz		1Ghz		same

jrichard2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
OK.

That savings advantage is for a refurb though. There aren't any around
currently, although I'm sure they'll pop up if I order a rev B. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.