Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy Rossi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
After my most recent dealing with the PC/Windows world I think it is time to make the switch. In looking at new PowerMacs I noticed that the currect models use ati and Nvidia AGP 8X card. I currently have and ATi 9800 Pro in my x86 system, and was wondering if I could save a few dollars and pop that in the a new duel 1.8 PowerMac? Being an agp interface and that Apples sells this card thems selves I did not think it would be an issue, but hey not totally sure. ;) Thanks again for your time.

-Jeremy

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
If you want to use a PC vid. card with a mac, you have to flash it with mac firmware. Risky business, if you ask me.... Could potentially ruin your card. Plus, with a mac vid. card, you get ADC, which combines power and monitor signal all into one, which helps with cable clutter. Of course, this will only help if you have an ADC monitor.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I was under the impression that the last AGP that could be re-flashed as a Mac card, was a Geforce 3. Anyway, I wouldn't try and flash it.

Jeremy Rossi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
Thank you all - I will just opt for a faster card when I make get the system. Thanks againg for the information.

-Jeremy

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Jeremy Rossi said:
Thank you all - I will just opt for a faster card when I make get the system. Thanks againg for the information.

-Jeremy

If you plan on selling your 9800 pro, post a link, I am looking into buying one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.