Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
Santa Cruz
Hello everyone,
Im a new mac user here (like so many others here it seems) although been watching this place for a while. Figured it was about time to get outta the ridiculous PC cycle and give macs a try. Hated macs with a passion, yada yada, friend had one, started using them, yadayada now I have my own, you know the story.
I love my mac.
But so my question. I know my way around a PC well enough although when it comes to macs Im sorta a fish outta water and I have some questions about what programs are recommended. I spend a fair amount of time programing and I have gotten used to my IDEs for windows, now I am wondering what are some users recommendations to try out. I program in C, C++, Perl, and Java. In windows I've been using JBuilder and Visual Studio. Now I know that JBuilder is also available for the mac so not too worried about that. However last I've checked Visual Studio isn't available for the mac so that leaves me needing something for the Cs and Perl. I was told to give code warrior a look into so going to give that a try but Im wondering what else people can recommend. Also I'm not really sure how to get warrior working for Perl... Any advice is very appreciated.

J~ :D

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
project builder, very nice. Its in your applications, in a folder called installers. It has everything you'll need.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
well theres mono...
get darwinports (die fink!!!), and then do a sudo port install mono.
simple, easy, fast install :)
but hey! there's a Mac OS X package on their website ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.