Switching between 2 phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by climber20, Sep 25, 2012.

1. climber20 macrumors member

Got a Verizon iPhone 5 on launch day and plan to use it as my primary phone most of the time. In the past whenever I go on vacation, I would always activate one of my older phones and leave the newest one at home due to paranoia of losing it or getting robbed. All my recent phones were 3G, so this was really easy to do.

With the 5 having an LTE sim card, can I still do this and occasionally activate my 4S for a week at a time and then switch back to the 5? I heard with other 4g phones, once you deactivate them, the sim becomes useless and you have to get a new one. Is the 5 the same way or can I keep activating the same sim card?

2. johnothy macrumors regular

johnothy

A few months back I tried out a Droid Razr Maxx to see if I liked it and swapped back to my iPhone 4 on 3G a few times. I could reactivate the iPhone 4 online, but each time I wanted to put the Razr back on I had to call Verizon to have them activate the LTE sim card. I'm not sure why I couldn't do it online when the sim hadn't changed from when it was activated on the line before.

3. niteriderxp macrumors member

You're probably better off buying a cheapo 4G Android phone off of Craigslist.
    Then just swap the SIM as you wish, no need to do anything else.

There's something about how Verizon handles 4G phones that's different.
    It could be the 3 or so features that are 4G specific that are causing the issues.
    It could be that their system does not smoothly handle SIMs yet with their ICCIDs.

The SIMs are reusable for sure, but there are quirks if you switch them between lines.
    For some reason their system does not let it activate elsewhere for 24 hours.