Switching between iPhone 5 and 4

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,

I want to become a developer and I have two iPhones, a 5 and 4. I want to be able to put iOS 7 on the 4, but be able to switch back and use my iPhone 5. How would I go about doing this? I don't want to put iOS 7 on my everyday iPhone 5. How to you guys use your two iPhones as a developer? i have AT&T!

Thanks

Last edited:

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Hi,

I want to become a developer and I have two iPhones, a 5 and 4. I want to be able to put iOS 7 on the 4, but be able to switch back and use my iPhone 5. How would I go about doing this? I don't want to put iOS 7 on my everyday iPhone 5. How to you guys use your two iPhones as a developer? i have AT&T!

Thanks
Any help would be appreciated.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
If you are AT&T or T-Mobile, you can do it by swapping the SIM card between your phones. The iPhone 5 uses a Nano SIM card and the iPhone 4 uses a Micro SIM card. You can buy an nano to micro adapter on Amazon for a few bucks.

If you are on a CDMA carrier like Sprint/Verizon you will have a more difficult process of doing what you want to do. You will have to constant switch ESN numbers on your account, just like when you get a new phone. I think you can do it online, but there is some delay switching, so it's not as easy as doing it with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
If you are AT&T or T-Mobile, you can do it by swapping the SIM card between your phones. The iPhone 5 uses a Nano SIM card and the iPhone 4 uses a Micro SIM card. You can buy an nano to micro adapter on Amazon for a few bucks.

If you are on a CDMA carrier like Sprint/Verizon you will have a more difficult process of doing what you want to do. You will have to constant switch ESN numbers on your account, just like when you get a new phone. I think you can do it online, but there is some delay switching, so it's not as easy as doing it with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile.
Thank you!! I'm on AT&T. Once I get the adapter, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California

Once I swap the sim out and use the adapter...do I need to activate either iPhone once I put the sim card back in? Just swap sims and that's all I need to do?

Thanks

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Once I swap the sim out and use the adapter...do I need to activate either iPhone once I put the sim card back in? Just swap sims and that's all I need to do?

Thanks
If the phone has been used in the past, it should already be activated. It should just read the SIM and register on an AT&T tower.

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
If the phone has been used in the past, it should already be activated. It should just read the SIM and register on an AT&T tower.
It was my son's iPhone, but it has a different number. Once I clear all the settings, sounds like all I need to do is just swap the sim.

Thanks

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
It was my son's iPhone, but it has a different number. Once I clear all the settings, sounds like all I need to do is just swap the sim.

Thanks
You are correct. The phone number is determined by the SIM card that you use in the phone.