Switching Carriers AND Numbers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cuechick, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Cuechick macrumors 6502

Cuechick

Hi All,

I am getting my iPhone 5 tomorrow and this is my first upgrade since I bought my original 1st G iphone over 5 years ago. I was also living in another state (GA). I am now in So Cal. This all presented a combination of problems when I went to buy this new phone.

1: I am (soon to be was) with At&t, but was told I could not keep my plan because basically it does not exist anymore.

The bright side, I have no contract and could shop around for a new plan & carrier.
    [​IMG]
    I went with this one which is just a little more than what I was already paying but about 20 cheaper than the equivalent on At&t... and I did not have unlimited minutes (though I'd stored enough rollovers to last me till the apocalypse) and only 200 texts a month.

2: I could not keep my old number because it was out of State... however I think it will be good for my business to have a local number so that is ok, just a bit of a PIA.

3:Now I have to deal with canceling my At&t account, since it won't be automatic. In my experience, they can make it a little difficult? Anyone else have to do this? Is it possible to do online, without actually talking to anyone?

4. Finally, I was thinking of adding my old iphone to my new account as a back up. I am allowed up to 10 devices on this account but I am pretty sure the 1st gen will not transfer to a different carrier? In which case, anyone want to buy a collector's item, it's even a 4GiG, so it's extra rare? :rolleyes:

2. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

If you're not porting your old number from AT&T then yes you will have to call them to cancel the line. I don't think there's any other way around that.

3. Cuechick thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuechick

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't understand why they wouldn't let you transfer the number, but if you're looking to get a local number anyways, then it's not really an issue.

However, I would pay $20 to have it ported to Google Voice. You can get calls forwarded to your new number and texts will still come through Google Voice. I would highly suggest this.

Also, I'm not sure what carrier you are planning to use, but the original iPhone can only be used on T-Mobile and AT&T. It doesn't support CDMA which is what Verizon and Sprint use.