Switching from 3G to Edge and wifi on and off needs to made simplier! Please Apple!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luke1robb, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So you know how if you want to turn on 3G you have to go into (Settings, General, Network, and then click 3G on) = 4 touchs and 5 if you include the home button to get out and the same count for turning it back off... this needs to change! The same goes for wifi, but not as badly. Maybe its just me, but I am constantly turning these on and off, both of them. It should be much easier to switch back and forth, not that hard, how hard would it be? Put it on the first page of settings... please apple... Anyone with me or have any other thoughts on the subject?

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Is your reason for wanting this the same as mine? Battery doesn't last long enough?

I too would like some simplification for these functions, however, I would prefer to take it a step further and allow me to setup a battery saving mode that automatically uses EDGE, unless I am surfing the net. Also I would like to see bluetooth activate when a call comes in and when I place a call only. A simple WiFi on off on the main screen would be fine or a quick popup when I access the web, offering Wifi once, not every time I pass an access point.

I guess my point is, I too need better battery life and agree it's a pain to turn power hungry functions on and off but I would like to see some smart minds come up with ways that don't require my intervention.

Cheers,

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think you're onto something here. When you go into Safair two options pop up: 3G and Wi-Fi, to turn them on and/or off.

When you go to Maps turn 3G on or off option comes up.

Or...how bout double tap the home button and you get a whole bunch of options:
    1) Favorites (Phone)
    2) Wi-Fi switcher
    3) 3G switcher
    4) Maps
    5) Mail

Better yet, now that I think about it, why don't they let you customize your home button double click menu that I'm describing? Add what you want or set up what it sends you to. Makes sense and wouldn't be that hard. Any thoughts?

4. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Its Amazing how it works: swipe your finger on the top bar and a box allows you to change brigthness and enable/disable, bt, wifi, 3g, edge and even ssh.
    you can pull that box when running applications.

That's called SBSettings. Ready to run on any jailbroken iphone!
    is sooooooooooo simple apple, but of course!

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Just leave it on wifi all the time. If it detects a service it will connect, otherwise it will stay on 3G, or Edge if not in a 3G area. I have never changed wireless settings since the first day I set it up.

6. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

and..... if you use your phone at all with these settings your phone will be dead in approximately 7 hours, ha.. there has to be a better way

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There is if you jailbreak your phone as Masquerade said. SBSettings is brilliant. Since I have an iPhone 2G the only reason I use it is to turn Bluetooth on/off quickly.

8. sfh macrumors regular

not just battery life

in sac 3g is poor so i like to switch to edge to get better call reception and service. the only thjing 3g is good for is data .... I wish i could turn 3g on only for data and edge for all else

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

No kidding and since I use this as my primary business line I am on the phone so much that I am lucky to get 5 hours. I pretty much have to have a charger available at all times.

Cheers,

10. Barbs macrumors regular

I would like to see a setting where you can customize wifi settings based on days and hours. For example:

Monday - Friday 1:00AM to 5:00PM wifi off.

I do not need wifi enabled while I sleep, and I also do not need it enabled while I am at work.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? And all time you don't have wi-fi you're using power for the 3G chip AND the wi-fi chip as it constantly searches for a signal.

Why would I want my phone searching for wi-fi 10 hours a day when I know for a fact it won't find anything?

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I was saddened to see when the SDK came out that these toggles weren't accessible by developers. The settings menu is incredibly cumbersome. It'd be ideal just to have an icon on the homesceen that you just touch to turn off or on 3G/wi-fi/bluetooth/airplane mode. Make them deletable if you don't want them.

If Apple don't want developers to have access to this it's such a quick thing to add, and would add greatly to usability.

It'd be nice to see something similar for EQ settings, which are bizarrely nowhere near the iPod app where you need them to be.

Phazer

13. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

You sound like a good candidate for the Incase Power Slider...

http://goincase.com/products/detail/EC20003

Might not be the prettiest or slimmest case, but I think it looks sleek and it would give you plenty of hours for that phone. Plus it would be like a tank, not breaking or threatening your phone.

14. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I've thought about easy switching like this. Basically you would hold the AT&T logo area by the signals, and then if you held it or tapped it correctly, it would open connection settings, such as 3G, WiFi, Roaming, Bluetooth, etc.

I wish Apple would listen to me. :(

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Well, since I am at home 16 hours a day where there is wireless, or at one of my two jobs the other 8 hours, where both places have wireless, for me it is not a problem, as it is not constantly searching for wireless, it is always connected to it.

16. Pared macrumors 65816

That's actually not a bad idea.

17. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I think you're on to something here. Could Apple implement a hot corners-like features on the home screen? Two-fingers to top left corner brings up wifi and 3G switch on and off... Any thoughts?