Switching from AT&T to T-Mobile Need 5s advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by achariam, Sep 20, 2013.

1. achariam macrumors newbie

Say I'm switching from at&t to t-mobile next month and am eligible for a full discount upgrade for the 5s. Are there any downsides to buying it from at&t for $200 + $36 activation fee + taxes, and then paying the $325 etf next month. The other option is to buy the t-mobile off contract version for the full $650 + taxes but I'm thinking I save $80 here. Are there any downsides that I missed to this (besides the hassle) if I'm definitely switching carriers? Are there any hardware differences between the t-mobile and at&t model?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

3. achariam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

4. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

Your ETF would be $325 - $10 for each completed month of service. So, you might "save" another $10 depending on when you cancel with AT&T.

5. alent1234 macrumors 603

does the AT&T 5S support all of T-mobile's 3g bands? they had the flakiest ones

6. achariam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea you're absolute right.

That's what I was most worried about but it seems there are only two distinct models this time around. IIRC the t-mobile iphone 5 came out later than the 5 so it was slightly different hardware.

Anyways I think I might just stick with the unlocked t-mobile version because I ordered it earlier and it will show up a week sooner than if I buy the at&t version now, oh well...

7. note235 macrumors 6502a

I was going to do the same thing
    does service end the minute you port your # over?

8. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

Yes, your old carrier will automatically cancel service when your number is ported to your new carrier.