Switching from AT&T to Verizon. A few ?'s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtztgue, Dec 10, 2011.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

Has anyone gone from Att to Verizon and willing to give input?. I am wondering how much I will miss being on the Internet and the phone at the same time. I have ip4. And will probably get the same or perhaps the 4s

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That will depend how often you do it now, also, you will not receive SMS messages if you're on a call (except for iMessages while on WiFi).

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Why are you switching?

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I never knew you couldn't receive text while on call with verizon.

5. balticgreen macrumors member

I don't miss it. I find having a signal and not dropping calls to be much more desirable features.

6. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Useless comment, it completely depends upon where you live. My brother has to walk around outside for 10 minutes hold his phone up just to send a text on his Verizon Droid while my AT&T iPhone has no issues.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Actually I think the iPhone 4S on Verizon now does (because of the improved antenna), but the iPhone 4 prior didn't.

8. dickdaney macrumors regular

You CAN receive text messages while on a call with verizon. You CAN'T receive data while on a call with Verizon (imessge, whatsapp, anything that's uses data). I switched because I needed service in the country areas of NC/VA. I didn't get anything with AT&T in those place. My phone would just turn into a battery draining iPod touch. I ride a motorcycle and when I'm by myself I need to be able to call someone if my bike is disabled. A gas station can be a 15 mile walk easily. In the city AT&Ts data was 3x what Verizon's was and coverage was great. I miss the speed but not the coverage away from the city. That is my perspective in my area, Central NC and Southern VA.

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Definately NOT a useless comment. A very true comment, putting things into perspective.

10. Dang1ing Nuts macrumors member

I can do other things while on a call with my Verizon 4S. Not sure to what extent as I only did it by mistake while in a phone call and went right back into the phone app after.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

It does no problem on the 4. My boss has the 4 and complains every time he is on a call and gets the text message alert sound.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

My advice, activate the Verizon with a new number and use that during your return period - if you end up being OK with Verizon, then port your AT&T number over to that phone. If you end up not liking the difference, you can just return it & don't have to reverse-port back to AT&T.

I'd give this advice going from any carrier to any carrier, I'm not Verizon-bashing.

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

This is false (except for you parenthesis statement).

CDMA phones are capable of supporting this.

14. theanimala macrumors 6502

If you are in areas with a lot of wifi (home, work), then it's not a problem at all. Since that's where I spend most of my time, and would most likely be multitasking, it is not an issue. I imagine the only issue with no data while on a call would be if I was using the phone as a GPS while on a long concall. That would suck.

15. echo2011, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

echo2011 macrumors regular

I receive SMS while I'm on a call with my Iphone 4/Verizon no problemO.

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't have a Verizon iPhone, but my cousin does and I guess I just mis-understood her, but thanks for the clarification.

17. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

I am looking because Att service just tanked about 3 months ago. They lost a tower and no idea when it is coming back up. It's hard to run a business that way, so I am looking at switching. But I do check and send email while on the phone. Also, I check websites and such, as I am talking with my techs. Not all the time, but it happens.

I am also looking at perhaps a 4g phone from Verizon, like the bionic, because that will give me the online and on phone. But that comparison is probably for a different forum

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Only you can answer that (why someone above said it depends on how much you currently use it).

19. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't really miss the simultaneous talk and surf over 3G, I never really did it and edge was slow anyways. I do, however, miss my unlimited data. :(

Other than that Verizon is great!

20. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Dollar for Dollar, I've found that Verizon is ALWAYS the most expensive.

AT&T now features the unlimited messaging plus mobile-to-any-mobile plan, which allows you to call any mobile phone on ANY carrier in the US without counting against your minutes. If you're not on an unlimited plan, this is pretty good.

Verizon, by contrast, offers a "circle of 10" where you can put in 10 different phone numbers which don't count against your minutes, and unlimited mobile calls from Verizon to Verizon customers only.

I also think the AT&T data plan is a few dollars cheaper.

I've had Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. I've yet to have AT&T but it is looking more and more attractive. The big decision for me will be if the iPhone 5 supports LTE or not, because if it doesn't, I'll have to go with a 4S on AT&T to take advantage of HSPA+. If it does, I'll probably consider Sprint since they're dropping WiMax support in favor of LTE. I will never consider Verizon again, until they get an unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile type of plan. My minutes dropped from using about 1200 per month as a family to less than 200.

21. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

The price of the plan is not an issue at this time because I am a business entity and our plans are different and should fit me needs. It looks like verizon will give me an apples to apples quote on the billing (do you like the pun?)

I am hoping for better coverage and wondering about the simultaneous issues. While I realize I might be the only one to answer whether I will miss it or not it, is nice to hear feedback. eg, sometimes I am on a call with a client and need to email my office about what the clients wants. I imagine I can still do that, it is just that the phone will wait until after I hang up to send the mail. Can i still hit the send button and then the phone is smart enought to send it later?

I also am looking at ways to save sites and tech manuals offline. So I can have a tech call with a question. I can hang up, download the manual or whatever then call them back and discuss the options.

Hopefully the IP5 will have lte support and I only have to wait 6-12 months to upgrade. I am negotiating now with verizon to get me the basic ip4 8gb and then allowing the upgrade later with no penalty.

22. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Better get that in WRITING!

23. dickdaney macrumors regular

Ain't that the truth. Someone is lying to you to make a sale. You're just going to e pissed off in 12 months when they charge you $650 per phone to upgrade.

24. ljonesj, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

my iphone 4 8gb can recieve text while being on the phone i was talking to a friend of mine while i was on my bluetooth mic and my mom txted me and its a verizon iphone 4

25. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have not spoken to them about this exact matter. We are still running the options on the phones and plans. My next questions was about upgrading in the future... I will have to see how verizon does that. I know att is 12 months.

And I always get those changes in writing and that actually ticks of a lot of sales people. I simple state "if it is not in writing then it is a sales pitch and I will throw it out and consider it a moot point. If it works out then great, but I dont make business descisions based on a sales reps promise"

Besides, always in the fine print of contracts is something like "this is the entire contract and anything promised or verbally agreed to is not binding" Usually very small print