Switching from AT&T to Verizon. How to preorder the new iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smileyboy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I plan on preordering 2 iPhone 5's one for me and one for my wife. We are currently on AT&T and want to keep our numbers. Do I port the numbers during the preorder or wait till we get our Verizon iPhones and then call Verizon and have the numbers ported?

I've heard people have ported before receiving their phones and their current number is immediately disabled or shortly after the preorder is placed.
    Thanks.

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Don't preorder anything. Wait till the store has them, so you can do it all in one step.

Anything else, and you are courting disaster.

3. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I don't know info want to wait in line.... But of that's the only way.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why not call Verizon to help you with this? They are more knowledgeable and will be more helpful than anyone here with respect to porting numbers and pre-ordering.

Go ahead and pick up the phone.

5. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I would love to pick up an iPhone 5... They just aren't available yet.

6. redrob2 macrumors newbie

I am trying to do the exact same thing. I called Verizon but they weren't much help. They said port now and buy a temp phone on Craigslist. No thanks. Then he said we could get we numbers and port the old AT&T ones later. That should work but it makes me nervous. He didn't seem too knowledgeable.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Verizon and pose this scenario to them. They'll still give you a better information scope about your current situation.... like I said, no one here is able to do that. All you'll get is conflicting information.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

OP, please listen to the quote above. Then report back to the forum; that way this place actually builds a knowledge base and isn't just thread after thread of conflicting information. (Just kidding; it'll always be both.)

9. metacove macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation. I've contacted AT&T, Verizon, and Apple. Here is what I have learned.

Pre-Order on Verizon's website and request to have my number ported.
    When I attempt to activate the phone on Verizon that will start the porting process.
    The porting process should take 4-24 hours.
    The porting process initiates a cancellation on that line with the existing carrier.
    If that line requires an ETF it will appear on my next (final) at&t bill.
    The AT&T rep assured me the final bill will be prorated and I will not be forced to pay until the end of the billing cycle.

If you are only ordering one phone you can pre-order on apple.com. If you need multiple handsets I suggest pre-ordering from Verizon since they will let you order multiple phones on a single plan.

10. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Thx. Already got the ball rolling and spoke to my local business rep this am. He said the same thing as the last poster.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for reporting back guys. (OP, you could also consider marking the thread as "Resolved.")

12. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I was in a similar situation with my last iPhone. I was on AT&T but the large online reseller I was using could not port numbers between AT&T and Verizon at that time. We went the route of setting up the Verizon account using temporary numbers. Then I ported the numbers from AT&T through Verizon to maintain the old numbers. I was pretty nervous and suspicious about the whole process but it wasn't anything unusual for the porting department and all of that part of it was done in less than an hour.

13. rnizlek macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation. Although I've been very satisfied with AT&T, I'm jumping ship for LTE and Verizon's more favorable unlocking policy for international roaming.

I would much prefer to order direct through Apple. From what I recall, there is an option if you want to port your number. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't order direct from Apple? My understanding is that porting doesn't take place until activation.

14. Robotpedlr macrumors newbie

I have ported a couple of times over the last few years (between ATT / Vzw). The actual "porting" did not happen until you get your phone in hand and activate it. They would not do it at the time of order (beyond just confirming it is able to port).

15. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Yep that's what VZW said. I guess nothing to worry about.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only caution I'd have with ordering directly from Apple is that their online store can often go a little bonkers during the first part of the pre-order rush.

Apple's online store has let customers change carriers/port numbers since 2009, so it's not their first time at that particular rodeo.

17. jasonc11 macrumors newbie

18. bogatyr macrumors 65816

This was my same experience when porting a number last week from ATT to Verizon. However, while their estimate for the port is 4-24 hours, the one last week took 5 minutes for me. Make sure to have both phones on you while waiting!

----------

It works the same way. Once you have the Verizon account you can even go into your web account with them and request the port for both phones. You just need:
    Port Number: (old number)
    Account PIN (if applicable):
    Carrier Account Number:
    Authorized Signer's Name:
    Billing Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip:
    Contact Phone Number:

From there it is the exact same process for the port. 4-24 hours (but can be much faster)

You can also check the status of your port at www.verizonwireless.com/port

19. Rtgeisreit macrumors newbie

If I preorder through apple without porting at that time, how do
    I get the verizon two year contract price instead of full retail?

20. chris566 macrumors regular

You get a new phone number and contract with verizon first. Then, after receiving your phone, you cancel the other service and have that number ported to your new verizon account. That's the way I'm reading this.

21. dave006 macrumors 68020

Porting has nothing to do with getting the subsidy pricing. You have an option to schedule the port as part of your pre-order or you wait until you get a working Verizon iPhone that you can test that it works everywhere you want to use your iPhone and then you can request a port.

Porting is very simple, please see my post above for more details.

Dave

22. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just curious.....as I went through the process on Verizon's site now with a 4S just to test.....when you get to the Port screen, it lists Account PIN (if applicable).

Going from AT&T to Verizon....did you need to enter a PIN? And if so...what was it? Was it from your account? Last of your SSN?

-Kevin

23. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I left it blank.

24. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Awesome thanks!

-Kevin

25. bogatyr macrumors 65816

If there are any issues, on the status screen for it, it'll tell you what is missing or incorrect and have a link to fix the information and resubmit. I had the account number wrong, took only seconds/minutes to process when I put in the correct info.