Switching from AT&T to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawnwich, Sep 12, 2012.

1. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

I just moved out of the city and I basically get no coverage in my new house with AT&T using my iPhone 4S. I am pretty sure I want to switch (when the iPhone 5 comes out) to Verizon, because I know they have better coverage in my area.

Because of this, I have a few questions:

• Is there any chance I would get better coverage using AT&T LTE? (I've checked the map on AT&T.com and it says i have "best" coverage in my area. Obviously I do not.)
    • Can I get my AT&T number ported to Verizon if I decide to switch? If so, do I do this when I preorder, or after I get the phone?
    • Has anyone had any success with forcing AT&T to wave cancellation fee because their coverage sucks?

Just FYI incase anyone lives in Houston - I moved to Katy.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. christyn macrumors 6502a

You can get your number ported.

they'll waive the etf if you call, they test the area and if they agree the coverage is really that bad.

3. Convert2 macrumors newbie

Also moved from Houston and no luck

I moved from Houston over the summer to Orange County CA and have the same problem. Overall in the area my coverage isn't too terrible, but in my exact neighborhood I have barely a bar. I can't make calls from my house, the kids' school etc. I talked with At&T about this in the summer and they refused to waive the etf. Combined with the fact the only reason my iphone4 is still under contract is due to the fact my original iphone4 was stolen with my purse while I was vacuuming my car at Kirby & Bissonnet. They were unsympathetic then as well (guess I should have paid for the insurance), so I extended my contract. Bad decision actually.

Anyway, I decided to hold out for the iphone5 and switch to verizon. I didn't order my phones yet and am wondering, are you buying from apple with delivery and then taking it into the verizon store to switch numbers, or buying from the verizon store directly? I'm not sure what the pros and cons to these two options are.