Switching From E7300 2.66Ghz Pc to 2.53Ghz MBP. Is This A Downgrade in Performance??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DocDoom, Nov 21, 2009.

1. DocDoom macrumors regular

Hi, im thinking of buying a 2.53Ghz 13 Inch Macbook Pro. Im going to be switching from a E7300 2.66ghz Core 2 Duo PC with 2gb of Ram and Windows Xp. I need something a bit faster then my current configuration and was wondering if the 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro with 4gb of Ram would do me justice. I will be using it mostly for music production, using Propellerhead Reason software, and of course internet use, and HD video. Would I get better performance Switching to the 2.53ghz Macbook Pro?

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

You won't notice a difference of 130MHz.

The bump up to 4GB of DDR3 RAM will be far more noticeable and improve your performance no end.

3. turugara macrumors regular

I swapped from an e7300 + ati 4890 to my 2.4ghz macbook pro. However, I heavily overclocked my e7300 and in return, definitely felt the drop in speed. My e7300 was running at 3.8ghz stable on a sunbeam core-contact cooling system.

4. awesomedeluxe macrumors member

I recommend against it. If you need a performance update and are switching from Core 2 Duo to Core 2 Duo you are not going to get one, especially not at a lower clock. Buying more RAM is the cheap and easy solution to your performance woes, and over-clocking (as mentioned before) is also a possibility.

The next generation of processors will show about a 10% or higher performance increase and are due around 1Q 2010. Since it creates an architectural dilemma for the 13" it's anyone's bet when that's updated, and the performance increase is still nothing dramatic, but it's better than what you're talking now. You would essentially be shelling out well over $1000 dollars for a performance improvement you could match or better with just $200.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yes, if it's solely for performance, just upgrade the RAM. If you're thinking of switching to Mac, you should probably wait for the next update to switch if possible.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Your desktop processor alone uses 2 times as much power as the entier macbook. So yes you should expect some performance drop. Also unless you go the SSD route, laptop drivers are kinda slower. And lets not get into graphics cards.

Get 4 (or 8 since it's a desktop) GB of RAM (probably DDR2) and a faster drive for your PC.