Switching from iPhone 5 AT&T to iPhone 5 Verizon. Any tips I should know?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erandall38, Sep 26, 2012.

1. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I pre ordered the iPhone 5 for AT&T. Been with AT&T since 2007.

I've had some problems lately. The city I live in does not have LTE, a feature I was looking forward to on the iPhone 5. I've also had a lot of service issues lately. Not just with the iPhone 5, but previously with my 4s. It's getting to a point where I worry about losing service. This is the first time since 2007 I've felt this way. I travel a lot now, and AT&T seems to lack stability in the areas I travel to.

Anyways, long story short I'm going to switch from AT&T to Verizon. Just trying to plan out how I should do it all.

I have a family plan that cost $144 a month for 700 min, unlimited text, unlimited data/2gb data. Verizon will give me unlimited min, unlimited text, 2gb/2gb for $150 a month. My buddy who works at verizon will get my bill 25% off... so $112.50.

Cancellation fees are $215 each line if I give back the iPhone 5. Or $215 for my other line and $325 for my line if I keep iPhone 5. I figure for an extra $100 I should keep the 5 and sell it.

Cost wise I'm looking at:
    Sell iPhone 5 (used) : $500? - Do you guys agree? I see brand new on eBay going for $700.. I would think my 16bg could go for $500 with Apple Care + purchased.
    Sell other lines iPhone 4s 16gb: $300
    Sell my iPhone 4s 16gb: $300 - with Apple care +

= $1100

Cancellation for my line: $325
    Cancellation for second line: $215
    Buy new verizon iPhone 5: $199
    Buy new verizon iPhone 5 for second line $199
    Buy one Apple Care + for my line: 99

= 1,040.

So I shouldn't be spending any money to do this right? Am I missing anything? Any little tips I should know that might help with some of the cost of doing so? Does Verizon offer any credits for coming over to help with cancellation fees from AT&T? I figure I should ask my buddy as well.

Thanks.

Edit: I was planning on returning this iPhone 5 as there are battery issues (lose about 12% overnight). Is there a way to return this phone for a brand new one, then sell it brand new? I bought it from Apple Store pre order.

2. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're canceling this soon, you'll probably have to give the phone back.

4. patrickbarnes macrumors regular

Depends where you are.

I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon. The LTE coverage in SF for Verizon is very patchy (even though the site says it's everywhere), and 3G/1x on Verizon are *painful*.

AT&T HSDPA+ is much, much faster, and from all reports, AT&T LTE speeds are really good.

This may all change tomorrow though.

5. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

They gave me prices for both. My line to cancel with giving phone back is $215. If I keep the phone its is $325. I confirmed this as it surprised me a bit. Basically $110 extra dollars to keep the iPhone 5. I have 30 days since purchase to choose, after that I have to keep the iPhone 5 and cancellation would drop to $315 (drops $10 every month).

Ya I see LTE is faster on AT&T.. and when there is no LTE I know it would be better on AT&T due to HSPA+. What it comes down to for me is that the LTE networks are no where currently where I live for AT&T, but are here for Verizon.

Similar to what your mentioning... AT&T rep told me that they are working on upgrading all the towers. Question is how long until I get LTE and better service.

6. iphonefan74 macrumors regular

You can say goodbye to simultaneously voice and data when you go to Verizon

7. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is one thing that worries me. One question I have regarding that. When you are on a phone call it won't let you use internet. If you are using internet, will Verizon network block out phone calls from getting to you?

8. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

No, the calls come through. I wish Apple added a third antenna and this would be a non issue.

9. apierrec macrumors 6502

Dumb Questions: Am on AT&T, planning to switch or buy the iP5 Verizon ... On Verizon iP5, you can't do voice and data on LTE - but what if wi-fi is on for data? Will not work too?

If I have the AT&T nano sim card on an iP5 Verizon, would voice & data at the same time be supported?

I guess, I'll find out very soon. :D

10. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agree.

For your first question. Wifi should still work, even when on a call.

Not sure about your second question, I'm guessing no bc the antenna types.

11. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I love Verizon, strongest signal and even LTE signal where my ATT friends have no LTE and barely any 3G. Im in the bay area of CA.

The voice and data at the same time really isnt a big deal, if you are on a smartphone with 2GB of data ill assume, your gonna be connected to wifi anyways, so it WILL work.

Verizon DOES support voice and data at the same time, wish people would stop saying it doesnt. The droid razr maxx and the thunderbolt DO.
    Its hardware issues that don't allow phones to do it.

Some of my apps on my iphone, especially on 3G i noticed, say theyre not connected for like 2 seconds, then they do. after a call, an app will disconnect and reconnect automatically. kinda annoying but you get used to it.

Overall, Ive had verizon for about 3 years and probably wont go anywhere else. you get what you pay for really. even in the wilderness of NV, where all others fail, verizon kept my signal. for that i was impressed.

12. apierrec macrumors 6502

Cool. I can live with that as wi-fi is pretty much everywhere. And I rarely use it. :D

I'll do the same thing with AT&T if it doesn't work. Thanks ... Ok am definitely going with my plans!

----------

Am worried on areas for Verizon not covered by LTE. Many people say it's like 2G or worse.

13. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

It will fall back to 3G, not 2G, when signal is low. its rarely 2G for me if ever. sometimes in the walk-in fridge at work, maybe, but like i said, hardly ever.

14. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Not if you are on wifi. If you need to surf the internet while on a call you really aren't listening. I never understood that arguement. When i was with at&t I don't think I ever really cared about putting the call on speaker and checking facebook or my email that badly.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Reasons to surf and talk:
    -My friend got lost and couldn't find a certain address. She called me because I had an iphone. I put her on speaker and told her how to get to her destination using the map app.
    -Making movie plans. I was talking with another friend. I pulled up a list of movies that were available. He pulled up a list of showtimes from the theater we were going to. He didn't have wifi and my job limited wifi to the patients.

16. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

when verizon goes full VoLTE, it wont matter anyways.

17. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Neither are real dealbreakers. Both items could be done via SMS/iMessage while you look up the info. I don't see anything that would make it a NEED verus a want. Again, 3 years with an iPhone on AT&T I couldn't count on one hand the amount of times Ive used data while on a phone call. It didn't keep me from jumping ship and I, personally, don't feel its a valid reason for anyone to stay with AT&T.

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I never claimed it to be a need v want. I just responded to the notion that simultaneous data/talk was never used.
    FYI: My friend was driving around and is more of an auditory than visual person. She would've gotten lost from the text messages. Also, she doesn't like text messages either. She'll use them when she has to, but she thinks they're in the territory of 20 year old children. I don't think that view is necessarily accurate, but that's one reason text messages wouldn't have worked.

19. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think 2 GB isnt enough? I was under the impression it was pretty hard to use up 2GB. On a side note, the other line on my plan will also have 2GB and I've been told that we share the total (4gb) together.

20. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

i blew thru 2GB in like 2 days, then again, i didnt turn on wi-fi because i have unlimited LTE on verizon. Your phone is 10x faster, you burn thru data 10x faster since you can do a whole lot more in a lot less time.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

As you transition to Verizon, just keep in mind that it may or may not be a better experience. It depends solely on which of the two have the strongest coverage where you use the phone, including where you typically travel to.

If you can't get a strong signal, nothing else matters. Coverage maps are very misleading. Only your real world test will reveal what works best for you.