switching from old PB (on 10.4) to new late 08 MBP (advice please)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spgiva, Oct 29, 2008.

1. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

So you can read this thread to hear about the sad events of my first late 08 MBP. Apple is sending me a new computer. Apple actually gave me a choice of repair or replace because they wanted to further investigate why my machine tanked on me. I took the replace because it gets me a 2nd (free) charger which will be usefull.

So I am expecting a new Late '08 MBP. With my first I used the migration assistant to transfer files, but not apps, because the apple IT guy I talked to said transferring apps could override preferences in the system to the new MBP which could cause problems. I Then reinstalled all my apps (a process that took the better part of a day). 3 days later my computer tanked, and I could not even do an archive and install off of the system disk.

So now I am wondering what the best (and easiest) way to get the new computer up and running when it arrives. I had a thought and I am wondering what people think of it. What if I did actually transfer everything (docs & apps) using the migration assistant, then immediately did an archive and install of the OS. I am thinking this might be less of a hassle then individually installing all of my apps. I might have to then reinstall iLife as well. Would the archive and install avoid the problem that the apple IT guy was referring to?

Any advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks to all.
    -spg

2. spgiva thread starter macrumors regular

spgiva

Ok, so I am going to give this one bump in case someone has an idea about this, then I will let it die . . .