Switching from T-Mobile to ATT - HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cramazing, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

so here's the current setup i have going in my family plan with T-Mobile

I have 4 iPhones total, 2 has data and the other 2 (parents phones) dont have data plans with T-Mobile. we currently moved to a new location and the service is just horrible so we need to get on ATT service.

i want to do the same setup with ATT and i want to make sure it will work.
    All our phones are unlocked.

So i want to join ATT family plan and do the same, 2 iPhones will have data plans, and the other 2 will only have cellular service and no data, only wifi.

please let me know if this is possible?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I don't believe that AT&T allows iPhones on its network without some kind of data plan. Just get the cheapest 500MB plan.

3. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Yeah your right all smartphones require a data plan so your out of luck there, you could chose the family plan instead of mobile share plan.

4. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

but how come under tmobile, i am able to use it without a data plan, my parents iPhone is only a phone, they are only able to use the internet via wifi only

5. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Mobile share is based on data, as they said, you're gonna need a family plan

6. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

OP: Your one of the very, very few who is moving from T-Mobile to AT&T nowadays. It's quite rare. AT&T is bleeding customers to T-Mobile.

7. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

T-Mobile has their business plan very "open" to all consumers they are trying to make it very easy to switch and save money. AT&T and Verizon or the opposite they are trying to nickel and dime you and get the most out of you that they can. They have plenty of customers so for them its off to focusing in revenues. Now what you can do is talk to customer service and they might help. I did this once but after 9 months of having no data on a iPhone line they later added a data plan so I ended up paying data which I wasn't happy about but my son was ;). Anyway point is you can try but you might just get a data plan added anyway so you never know.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

Different company = different rules.

9. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

oh trust me i dont want to, but tmobile is just terrible in my area, the call drops 80% of the time, im serious 80%!!!!

i really dont have a choice at this pt :(

10. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Well by me, AT&T & T-Mobile share the cell sites. I never understood why I get a perfect AT&T LTE signal and perfect T-Mobile EDGE signal. T-Mobile's frequencies they use (AWS) do not create a strong signal and don't go very far. They can't penetrate buildings well either. They need lower frequencies for their network. That's why I stick with AT&T, as much as I despise them. But at the end of the day, one needs a phone that works for THEM.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not to sound snotty, but do you have any actualy statistics to back this up? I ask because I am truly interested in seeing just how many people are jumping ship to TMO.

As a side note, I tried TMO for about two weeks a little over a month ago and couldn't stand it.

12. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Could I ask why you couldn't stand them? I really can't back that up, but have ready on many tech sites that AT&T is loosing a lot of customers to T-Mobile lately.

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

In their latest financial report Tmobile said they are taking customers from AT&T at a 2:1 ratio. Meaning that 2 customers are switching from AT&T to Tmobile for every 1 customer that switches from Tmobile to AT&T.

Most of their new customers are coming from Sprint though.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Reception was awful. Indoors (especially in my house) no service. I'd also drop from 3G/4g to edge constantly. I made a thread about it (won't search right now since in posting from my phone). Thread title is "TMO Boston", if I recall correctly. I'm probably going to grab their $30 sim and give it another go though. I'm told LTE has rolled out in parts of Boston now.

I asked for stats because I'm reading the same on tech sites, but never with any evidence to back up the claim. As for as I'm aware AT&T has been reporting growth every quarter, so I'm nt sure I understand the logic.

15. AutoUnion39, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Not true. TMobile has been bleeding customers left and right. This was the first quarter where they were positive in ages. AT&T still had a net increase in customers. There are plenty of people out there who are smart enough to realize TMobile is trash and only for the lower end crowd. If anything, Sprint is loosing customers to TMobile. They do go after the same low class crowd, after all.

You get what you pay for. There are tons of bottom feeders who are too hung up with saving a few bucks a month and are willing to give up reliable coverage.

----------

Correct. TMobile had one positive quarter in ages and all the fanboys are foaming at the mouth pretending that TMobile has turned into some VZW/ATT killer.

AT&T and VZW are the only two carriers who have had a constant net increase in customers every quarter for a while now. TMobile and Sprint can't say the same thing. Their customer base is hung up on saving $$$ to realize how poor their service really is.

And LTE is up in parts of Boston. But it's just like their HSPA network. Spotty and mostly on EDGE, when you have a full LTE signal with VZW and AT&T

16. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

17. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Speaking of AT&T, I just crossed from Canada to Maine, almost all the way until I reached the interstate (about 100 miles) signal only appeared for a bit, and it was 1 bar of edge, so sad! Tmo was probably the same, because the phone didn't connect to "emergencies only".

This is passing thru many towns too!

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Almost 400,000 of those were tablets so that's not really saying anything against the comment that more people are switching from AT&T to Tmo than the other way around. Tmobile doesn't even carry the iPad so I'm sure AT&T does t have to worry about people flocking to Tmo for tablets. Adding only 150k postpaid subscribers gives credibility to comments that Tmo is taking some of their customers.

19. AutoUnion39, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

TMobile is trash in Maine and the Northeast in general. Almost all GPRS and EDGE on the highways. You get spotty HSPA in the Portland, Sanford, and Biddeford area. Barely EDGE everywhere else.

AT&T and VZW have the area blanketed with LTE (southern Maine). HSPA and EVDO in most other places. Even VZW struggles in real Northern Maine. USCC is king in rural Maine. They have LTE up everywhere. They also maintain an old EDGE network for GSM carriers to roam on. They have the largest native network in the rural areas. Even VZW roams once you get out there. TMobile can't roam in most of these areas. Its all no service until you get on the turnpike.

Once you get to Augusta, Bangor, Waterville, etc, AT&T is HSPA until Portland where you get LTE. Then you don't loose LTE down the coast all the way to the DC area.

----------

Find me some cold hard facts that it is really TMobile "taking" their customers. Not BS spewed from the TMobile marketing machine. If anything, Sprint has probably lost the most customers to TM

20. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

LOL you call people "bottom-feeders" when they choose what network they want?

You are not going to win anyone onto AT&T's or Verizon's network just from spewing bullcrap about T-Mobile.

(Oh by the way, you can keep paying ridiculous prices and fees, I'm happy with the network that has the fastest LTE in the USA and it's only going to get faster.)

21. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Why would it care if it is unlocked?

22. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Oh please. Fastest LTE? face reality.

AT&T is now the fastest LTE provider in the US. This has been corroborated by various 3rd party sources. TMobile is still screwing around with deploying 5x5 LTE in most major areas. Let's not forget all that beautiful blazing fast EDGE outside of major top metro areas.

If it makes you feel better inside that you're paying less, good for you. There are plenty of us who have good credit and value reliable service versus some BS HSPA in the metro areas and EDGE/GPRS everywhere else.

There is no need to win anyone onto AT&T and VZW. Their reputation speaks for themselves. Not to mention, their subscriber base. On the other hand, there are plenty of scrubs all over the internet trying to convince themselves how amazing TMobile's blazing fast EDGE network is. Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's better.

Good luck with that.

23. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Don't judge people by their service providers. I have friends who are very wealthy (the kids have trust funds) and are on T-Mobile. The service in our area is on par with AT&T and Verizon.

24. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Oh, I'm sorry. Did T-Mobile's deployment of 10X10, 20X20 and in the future, 40X40 LTE hurt your feelings? :rolleyes:

BS HSPA? Oh, and AT&T's slower HSPA is better? So is Verizon's 3G?

Yeah, their reputation is to lock down customers with un-wanted 2-year contracts, charge EVEN MORE for their upgrade programs and to charge insane prices for everything.

It all goes to show how the evil two are. Yes, in the aspect of T-Mobile's EDGE, I agree, they need to upgrade their network to higher standards.. BUT... They still have the fastest since they have more spectrum than AT&T and Verizon in several cities, using high-frequency bands to have high capacity and speed. Also, they can't deploy LTE/HSPA+ in smaller-density areas since they use high-frequency bands.

Soon AT&T will be very congested because they use 700 MHz for LTE, which is great for coverage, but crap for capacity (Verizon on the other hand, will use the same AWS bands as T-Mobile, but that is to be deployed in major cities since AWS 1700/2100 MHz isn't good at density.)

In all honestly, I think all of the carriers have their strengths and weaknesses and to each their own choice. You don't have to choice for other people. :)

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because Tmobile allows it.
    AT&T does not let you have a post paid account with an iphone and no data plan.
    You can use AT&T prepaid service to avoid that but on monthly post paid accounts its mandatory.