switching from windows phone... iphone5 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matteoit, Oct 1, 2012.

1. matteoit macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm thinking to buy a new iphone5...it would be my first iphone and I have few questions, hope to find an answer here.

First, I use iPhone for both personal and professional use, so... my first concern is about battery life. I use my smartphone always in 3g, no wifi, no bluetooth, 3 emails (fetched every hour). When I commute I use 2-3 hours a day of music/web surfing/forums/news reading via rss/facebook and facebook messenger. Would it last from 7am to 11-12pm?

Then, I also use skype sometimes...does it works in background? Sucks a lot of battery life?

Second concern... my address book is big... I have two of them, personal (gmail... it will be icloud if i move to apple products) and professional on google apps. With wp each contact is synced with facebook/linkedin profile and I like this feature... I know that facebook sync is possible with ios6, but what about linkedin? Is it possible to sync contacts via linkedin app? What it syncs? Only photos? Sync is persistent or manual (e.g. If I add a new linkedin contact it will sync automagically with my addressbook?)

Last question: sometimes I use maps. I used nokia maps that are actually good, but there are few poi and commercial activities... 7 days ago I was desperately searching for a bank (I live in Italy) and I had to use Yelp app to find it. Yelp has the same number of places of google, at least here in Italy so... do you confirm that Apple maps uses yelp for places? I don't care about useles things like 3d and so on... I just need places :p

It could seem stupid but these features are important to me... thanks.

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

So far, only Facebook and Twitter directly integrate with the iPhone. There's a Linkedin app, but it doesn't synch your contacts like Windows Phone does. Your gmail contacts will synch fine with the iPhone. No need to switch to iCloud.

No way to tell with battery life. Sounds like you have a long day. I have a long day too. I've never had a phone that lasts all day with the amount of push email I get. I charge up in the middle of the day at my desk for a few hours and that does me well. I used a Mophie Juice Pack on my old iPhone that I kept in my bag which would charge my phone while on the go if I needed it. I might get one for the new model when they come out with one.

I think the maps app uses Yelp for POI data. Not sure on that though.

Skpe works fine in the background and doesn't use much battery life. If you have push notifications enabled, you don't even have to have it running. The app will launch when you get a call and tap the call notification.

Get the iPhone 5. If you like it, great. If not, return it.

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

No, I would disagree about Skype not using a lot of battery running the background. With how long your day is, that will drain the battery mid afternoon with your usage that you described. I haven't fully tested it yet on my iPhone 5, but on my iPhone 4, with Skype running in the background, I'll drain the battery in like 11 hours of standby with a few hours of surfing and music listening. From the limited usage I've tried, on my iPhone 5 with Skype running, it really consumes power when using LTE. Drains like 2-3% every 30 minutes.