Switching iPhone 5 carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamstersar, Oct 19, 2012.

1. hamstersar macrumors newbie

So my friend came to me for help concerning switching iPhone carriers and I couldn't find anything pertaining to her problem so I figured someone here might be able to help.
    Here's the situation, she's looking to get an iPhone 5 in January when her contract with AT&T is allowing her a phone upgrade. In June however, when her plan runs out, she wants to switch to a pay as you go plan like Cricket's.
    Is this possible without spending an extra $750 for another iPhone?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

She will have to cancel her AT&T contract and pay an ETF. Thats the only way to get out of the AT&T contract after and upgrade. She can always sell the iPhone 5 to recoup the cost of termination and then switch to Cricket. She will have to buy another iPhone 5 from Cricket, because they use CDMA not GSM.

3. faiz23, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012

faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

So you want to upgrade which requires a 2 yr contract to get the subsidized price of $199 but only use it for 7 months. WHO <snip> will fulfill the other 17 months on the contract that you signed in Jan 2013 to upgrade to the shiny iphone 5. Have your broke friend spend $649.00 plus tax with NO COMMITMENT and then she can leave to go to metropcs on sprints network anytime after her ORIGINAL contract is up in JUNE. <snip>

4. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

just have her sell the phone and use the money to pay ETF, as long as it's in good condition, it should keep its value well.

then just have her sign up again to whatever new carrier she wants and get another iphone for the subsidized price again.;)