Switching LTE off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kmpoboy2, Oct 4, 2012.

1. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

I remember that it was recomended to turn off 3G if no covarege available in order to save battery in previous iPhones as it drains it buy trying to find a 3G signal.

Does this apply to LTE too? I'm asking because, there's no LTE coverage where I spend most of the day for 3 days and I notice that the battery drains faster while in 4G than, when i'm at a LTE coverage area.

2. TOOFY macrumors regular

I also turned mine off as I do not have LTE coverage. It does save battery.

3. acarney macrumors 6502

I was just about to post this... I'm down to 34% with 3 hours of usage and 7 hours of standby. All of the usage was wifi or 3G data as I've been in classes most the day and don't have time for videos or games. Was wondering if LTE being on kept a different part of the radio active looking for it or something...

4. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I have mine off and after 10hr standby and 3hr of usage I still have 65% :D

5. acidrain79 macrumors member

U know I was wondering this too. When on deliveries for my job, I spend a lot of time in areas where there is no LTE, so I switch it off as soon as I notice that I'm out of LTE range. On the days where I spend the better part of the day with LTE switched off in 3G/HSPA+ 4G only areas, my battery drains much faster than it does when I'm in LTE areas with my LTE switched on. It's almost as if the LTE antenna operates more efficiently than the 3G/HSPA+ 4G antenna. Or maybe it's just the nature or LTE itself, since it loads data so fast that maybe the phone doesn't have to work as hard so the battery doesn't take as much of a hit??

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're in an area with no LTE coverage it would be wise to turn it off so it doesnt search for it.

7. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Yeah, another radio thats on searching for a signal that it won't be able to find will drain the battery