Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
My wife has an iPhone, and I have a 4s. She has her upgrade available now, so when the new iPhone5 comes out in the fall, I am planning on using her upgrade to get the 5 and I will give her my 4S.

what is the exact procedure to do this with Verizon and then what about importing all info to our new phones? would I just back my 4S up to iTunes and then wipe it out and have wife connect to her itunes account and put all her info back to the 4s, and i would do same for iphone 5 ?

would she need to activate the new 5 onto her line first since its her upgrade?:confused::confused:

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I find the easiest way is to back up each phone with iTunes and then wipe them and restore to the correct new phone. But you can also restore from an iCloud backup, if using.

As far as Verizon, you will be doing an "alternate upgrade." Assuming you are on the same account, you just walk in, tell them you want to use her upgrade for a "5" and you want to put the 4S on your wife's number. It can all be done in one order from their systems. No need to have the new iPhone go onto her line first. It can just be activated to your line. Again, assuming you are on the same family share account.

elykoj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
yes, same account

I find the easiest way is to back up each phone with iTunes and then wipe them and restore to the correct new phone. But you can also restore from an iCloud backup, if using.

As far as Verizon, you will be doing an "alternate upgrade." Assuming you are on the same account, you just walk in, tell them you want to use her upgrade for a "5" and you want to put the 4S on your wife's number. It can all be done in one order from their systems. No need to have the new iPhone go onto her line first. It can just be activated to your line. Again, assuming you are on the same family share account.

we are on same account, thanks for advice. How does Applecare work though?, i purchased Applecare for my 4s in January when i bought my phone, when we do the switch for the 5, does applecare follow the phone? if my wife takes my 4s will applecare still be just be for her phone now even though the name is changing on the account? and will i need to purchase applecare again for my new 5 ?:confused:

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
we are on same account, thanks for advice. How does Applecare work though?, i purchased Applecare for my 4s in January when i bought my phone, when we do the switch for the 5, does applecare follow the phone? if my wife takes my 4s will applecare still be just be for her phone now even though the name is changing on the account? and will i need to purchase applecare again for my new 5 ?:confused:

AppleCare stays with the original iPhone purchased. An iPhone has the warranty no matter who owns it. If you were to buy the new iPhone, AppleCare would have to be bought again.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
Back up all contents of PIM To iCloud and then wipe or restore them with respective iCloud. No hassles restore.

For apps you can sync with iTunes simple way out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.