Switching over to T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slipper, Sep 12, 2012.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I just wanted to share this with my fellow MacRumors brethren as a way to save a few bux. I'm gonna keep my existing iPhone 4S and switch to T-Mobiles pre-paid unlimited Talk, Text, and 4G for $49.99/mo. SIM will cost $6.99. T-Mobile seems to have great service here in Honolulu so it seemed like a no brainer for me. And the phone support dude assured me that T-Mobiles 4G is compatible with my iPhone. I just hope they don't increase the cost of their pre-paid unlimited 4G plan any time soon.

2. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

I'm pretty sure the 4G won't work on tmobile unless they've updated the spectrum here in hawaii.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got bad news for you.
    You wont get 3G or 4G on your 4S with Tmobile in Hawai.
    Just 2G slow Edge data and no talk and use of data either.

4. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

You will get slow Edge data, but

no talk and use of data either

What's that even mean...

I have an unlock iPhone and everything works great, even facetime and imessages. Only problem is slow data speeds, but it's doable.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What it means is if you're using carrier data on your iphone on 2G then you cannot be on the phone talking to someone on a call.
    Try using safari or pandora while you're on a call with tmobile on an iphone and not connected to wifi.

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

According to the phone support guy, T-Mobile has 4G support for iPhones in Hawaii. I'll call a local T-Mobile store to confirm.

7. pakman85 macrumors newbie

8. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I'm getting different answers from the local T-Mobile stores and the phone support. The two local guys at the T-Mobile stores said only 2G with working here in Hawaii but 3G will be available at the end of this year. The two phone support guys say 4G is currently working for the iPhone. Phone support guys said to try it out without porting over the existing phone number and if it doesn't work i'll get a refund. So i guess i'll keep you folks posted.

9. Wiggum macrumors member

Looks like the new phone will work on the frequencies (from TMO rep), but the problem is you can't get a SIM card.

10. pakman85 macrumors newbie

I read in an article somewhere that tmobile is already offering sim converter/adapter for 4s microsim and that they will be doing the same for nano-sim for iphone 5. I cant recall which article it was...

11. ann713 macrumors 6502a

This was what I was curious about, but there are mentions of T-Mobile distributing nano-sim cards to retailers. Pretty sure other carriers will follow suit.

12. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

13. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I'm using an unlock iPhone 4 and using Safari/Data while on call works fine.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

If I lived in Honolulu I would not care how fast or slow my data was, I would enjoy the outside world every day.

15. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Unfortunately i work and i'm stuck in the office all day. Fortunately i have a decent view from my desk. :D

Attached Files:

16. bozzykid macrumors 68020

They are both right. HSPA+ (T-mobile's 4G) isn't turned on in Hawaii yet but T-mobile doesn't support 4G on the iPhone 4S. T-mobile plans on finishing the conversion for the US by the end of the year. So you might get edge now on a a 4S or 5 but you should get 3G/4G by the end of year.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt work if you're on 2G edge data period. On wifi or 3G yes.
    That is a 2G limitation. Are you claiming somehow that you're the only one that the 2G technology works differently somehow?

Rule number one.
    You never trust what salespeople tell you in order to make a sale;)

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Simple Mobile or Straight Talk.

Don't do Tmobile. They suck. Also, they're just not ready yet with their spectrum in most areas. EDGE is a seriously miserable Fail.