Switching Phone Numbers Between Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomguyishere, Oct 26, 2012.

1. randomguyishere macrumors regular

I am planning on getting the iPhone 5 on AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon in the near fortune.

With the plan I'm on for T-Mobile, it is cheaper to simply start a new account with a new carrier and continue paying for T-Mobile service.

I am wondering if it is possible to move my T-Mobile number to the new carrier , and vise versa (i.e. could I also move the new carrier's number to T-Mobile?).

Essentially, I am wondering if it is possible to switch the two phone numbers I would "own" to each other's carrier.

Thanks, guys! :apple:

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not really. Number porting assumes that when you move your number, you're dropping service with the old carrier altogether. You'll have to port your number and then sign up again with T-Mobile under a completely new number and account. Or, let the new carrier assign you one of their numbers and keep your old number on T-Mobile.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

edit, nope, nope it won't.

Why not call TMo, I know carriers can put a hold on a #, I'm not sure if it's locked when it's in that state or can be ported out. So maybe they can assign you a new number, hold your real #, you port your real # and their hold falls off.