Resolved Switching phones. How to turn off sending using iMessage

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
If I want to sent texts to someone who switched from an iPhone to any other phone, what do I have to do so that my iPhone doesn't think they are still on iMessage?

Edit: turning off iMessage on the iPhone worked. Deleting it from the registered products list linked to the Apple ID as suggested on an Apple thread didn't work.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
It’ll do it automatically, don’t worry about it.
If it happens automatically then why do we have numerous front page articles talking about people not being able to turn it off? I could probably link to 15 different threads describing the problem in the iPhone and iOS forums as well. None that I have seen have a clear solution.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Any ideas?
Can they switch back to their old iPhone temporarily and turn off iMessage? Otherwise you may just have to hold down the text message after you send it and choose the send as text option to avoid the delay.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Can they switch back to their old iPhone temporarily and turn off iMessage? Otherwise you may just have to hold down the text message after you send it and choose the send as text option to avoid the delay.
I'll give that a try and report back.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Try deleting the whole text message thread and make a new one and try and send them one. Normally works for me.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Design and build a time machine, go back in time and shoot his grandfather.

That should fix it.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Try deleting the whole text message thread and make a new one and try and send them one. Normally works for me.
Tried that but it didn't. Turning off iMessages on the iPhone worked!

Design and build a time machine, go back in time and shoot his grandfather.

That should fix it.
Too late, already fixed it. I'll do this with the next person who decides to switch phones.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Strange. My phone automatically switches from iMessage to normal text messages if the other person is not using data/wifi (switched off etc) or have a different phone and switches back to imessage when internet is available or if it detects an iPhone. I never had this issue.