switching SIM cards but keep all contacts ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user123, Aug 20, 2013.

1. user123 macrumors newbie

I will be taking my unlocked Iphone with prepaid GoPhone microSIM to mexico on a business trip. I will insert a local SIM. GSM service.

will my contacts stay on the phone ? Or will I lose them when I pull the USA SIM ?

Thank You

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I didn't think that the iPhone stored contacts on the sim card. If that is the case, you should back them up to iCloud then they will be with your iPhone regardless of what sim card you have.

3. bdrake47 macrumors regular

iPhone does not store your contacts on the SIM card. They are stored on the iPhone. A local or iCloud backup is a good idea too, before you travel.

You can pull out your US SIM, pop in the local SIM and everything is still the same.

Have been doing that regularly for 3 countries for several years now.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Correct, I'm pretty sure you can manually back them up to the SIM but they aren't stored on there.

5. TheProFTW macrumors regular

One tip, don't use it on the street in Mexico. Chances are you'll come back to the US without a phone :p

6. Beyinsis macrumors member

Use icloud. That's great. A life saver!!!

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

yes, have them all saved and synced though icloud. as long as your apple ID is logged into the phone, you will have your contacts. when i went to iceland, i was easily able to swap SIM cards and not lose any contacts since i use icloud.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Most smartphones don't use the SIM phonebook these days. The available fields are limited. Capacity is very limited as well.