Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I'm sure this has been answered in some form, and I apologize if this has been beaten to death ad nauseum.

My mom and I are not on a family plan, but I would like to use her upgrade to get the 4s. I'm really holding out for the 5, and she wants a newer phone and would be willing to take my iPhone 4.

She currently has the 3G and a data plan. Can she order the 4s with her upgrade option, activate the phone/micro sim, and then her and I swap the sim cards in the phones?

Don't really want to hassle with taking the phones to ATT.

Thanks

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
That might work, but there's no way to be sure unless you were to call ATT and ask or just try it. Worst case scenario is that you try it and something doesn't quite work right and you have to make a trip to ATT anyway.

What I would do is upgrade her line and when the phone comes in call att and have them activate it on your line, which will then deactivate your old sim in your 4. Then just take your old 4 in to ATT and have them giver a new microsim to put in the 4.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
I'm sure this has been answered in some form, and I apologize if this has been beaten to death ad nauseum.

My mom and I are not on a family plan, but I would like to use her upgrade to get the 4s. I'm really holding out for the 5, and she wants a newer phone and would be willing to take my iPhone 4.

She currently has the 3G and a data plan. Can she order the 4s with her upgrade option, activate the phone/micro sim, and then her and I swap the sim cards in the phones?

Don't really want to hassle with taking the phones to ATT.

Thanks

Should work without any issues. I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded my wife's line from a 3G to an iPhone 4s on launch day. Activated it and she used it for a week before we swapped phones. All I had to do was swap the SIM's and restore the phones with each other's back ups. Everything worked great w/o any issues.

No need to call or deal with AT&T unless you want to get the 4S data for your line after to switch to the iPhone 4s. The 4s data plan gives the iPhone 4s faster data speeds than using the iPhone 4 data on the 4s. If you want to get the data plans switched, you need to call AT&T and have them swap the IMEI numbers on the both lines and you'll be good to go.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
When the phone arrives just take out her sim in the new 4S and put yours in and use it. My brother who isn't even on our family plan used my moms upgrade to get his iPhone 4S just took out the sim card and replaced it with his and used it just fine.

stlwx21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Should work without any issues. I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded my wife's line from a 3G to an iPhone 4s on launch day. Activated it and she used it for a week before we swapped phones. All I had to do was swap the SIM's and restore the phones with each other's back ups. Everything worked great w/o any issues.

No need to call or deal with AT&T unless you want to get the 4S data for your line after to switch to the iPhone 4s. The 4s data plan gives the iPhone 4s faster data speeds than using the iPhone 4 data on the 4s. If you want to get the data plans switched, you need to call AT&T and have them swap the IMEI numbers on the both lines and you'll be good to go.

Hmm.. My mom has the 2GB data plan, while I still have the unlimited data plan. I'd rather not lose that. Will switching the IMEI numbers do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.