Switching the boot drive (I want to boot from the optibay) How can this be done?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kingcodez, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I run SSD/HDD, my HDD in the optibay is broken, I stuck it in a external and it makes finder freeze, it got bumped around too much so I want to put a new one back in the 'correct place' for a spinner, and stick the SSD in the optibay.

(I figure the extra 2% of shock protection offered by the orange rubber circle things is worth the trouble of moving everything).

I am also going to buy a WD 3 platter 1TB laptop drive, and I read that they fit fine in the regular spot in MBP's (I'm going to open and measure in a min.)

Anyways, there's no BIOS, only EFI, so how to I pick what drive to boot from? with 10.6 is it as simple as holding option down on boot, and picking my 'OSX' HDD, and then it will auto boot from that until I specify otherwise? (I ask because before 10.6 people on here were always talking about how to switch boot drives.)

2. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

im not sure about the first part or ur message, but i believe you change the bootup disk in osx system preferences, and start up disk

3. w4rmk macrumors regular

rEFit

Try rEFit, I use it and love it for multiple boot sources.

4. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

Hey I am in a similar situation. Did you find a solution. I don;t wish to tinker too much as things can go wrong. But an SSD in the Optibay and booting from that with sleep working perfectly would be awesome.

5. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

in system preferences goto "startup disk" and select no black magic required ... its a mac for gods sake... boooomm it just works...

if that fails options at boot and select... should never have to restart except for OS updates ... sleep is your friend.. :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

^That's the thing you need to do. By the way, the 1TB WD suits for all unibody MBPs and pre-unibody 17"s

7. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

I couldn't find no black magic required anyway. I am joking. I know how to select my boot drive, the problem is sleep issues with the SSD being in the Optibay enclosure.
    Like in this instance http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=576116

There are plenty of these instances, that's what I am referring to.

8. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

Getting a hold of a 1TB is another story.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not anymore.. e.g. NewEgg sells it nowadays and so does OWC.

It was hard before but now these big vendors has it in stock too

10. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

Yeah was going to edit that. In australia I was meaning however a shipment has come in and I searched and found a few retailers with it.

11. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Agreed. I have a triple-boot set up, and I cannot live without rEFIt to manage this.