Switching to gs3 question about iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Jul 17, 2012.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Tonight I'm trying the gs3 and I remember when I tried the nexus last year when I would text people with iPhones and iMessage it would take forever for people to recieve my messages because there phones were still reading I was using iMessage

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before you switch, go into your settings and turn iMessage off. This will deactivate your number from the Apple's server, and should make sure that message go to you as SMS first.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

I don't think just turning it off will help. He should do a "reset all settings"

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If you have nothing to contribue then why waste everyone's time with stupid meaningless posts like that?

I am not %100 sure but I think turning iMessage off is enough.

6. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Nope.. Turning it off works just fine.. Have personally tried it.. :)

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

"question about iMessage" .....no question in OP :confused:

8. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Sorry guys didn't no exactly how to say it but I figured some one be bound of knowing what I was trying to say. Do I turn it off on my phone, or have the other iMessage users turn it off on there phones and back on?

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just a warning to those who also iMessage with iPad along with iPhone with same apple ID.

iMessage sucks for those who sim switch to non iOS devices.

So if I switch to a Nokia lumia 900 and send and SMS to an iPhone user. They will not respond back to my Nokia lumia 900. The message will arrive to the iPad and not to your android phone/windows phone etc.

Apple "still remembers" your apple ID even if you switch iMessage off on your iPhone before switching especially when texting to following iOS users.

This is biggest flaw in the iMessage system. It sucks for us sim switchers who still maintain an iPad.

10. aldo82 macrumors regular

I really struggled to get this sorted after moving to the S3. Searching around the web I found suggestions to go the the support pages on Apple, log in then unregister your iphone. This didn't work straight away but a day later and having switched off imessage on the iphone I think it is now working. Total pain!

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You turn it off.

12. chestvrg macrumors 65816

I usually turn iMessage off when I want to enjoy a movie on Netflix via Wi-Fi b/c of the annoying iMessages even on air plan mode and Wi-Fi on. So what I do is when on Netflix, I deactivate iMessage and enjoy the movie...when I'm done I reactivate iMessage and air plane mode again. (don't really have to, but just wanted to add my $.02)